What's new

More MoCA: D-Link DXN-221 & Actiontec ECB2200 Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is it possible to attach a hub to one end of the Netgear or Dlink? I have a HTPC and a PS3 I'd like to connect.
Yes. Both products are bridges and support multiple devices if you connect a switch.

The more and more I look at MoCA it reminds me of a Token ring network. Would it be more accurate to call the MoCA "bridges" Media Access Units (MAUs)?

MoCA is actually like hubbed ethernet (10base2) in its multiplexing (multiple nodes) ability instead of token ring. In token ring packets received by a node and not addressed to the node are retransmitted to the next node. If a single node fails the whole network fails. With hubbed ethernet every node sees all activity on the wire and ignores the packets not addressed to its MAC ID (node ID for MoCA). When a node needs to transmit it waits for some idle time on the wire (CSMA/CD) and transmits. If another node transmits at the same time you get a collision. Then both nodes stop and a randomized wait time is used to allow one node to transmit while the other waits.

Hubbed ethernet stopped being used when switches got cheap. Now every ethernet node gets a dedicated CAT5/6 cable run to a switch which manages all its attached nodes to prevent collisions. MoCA and the other existing wire technologies (HPNA, HomePlug, Gigle, etc.) don't have the luxury of dedicated wiring and must deal with whatever wiring layout is in the home.

To handle the wire sharing MoCA uses Time Domain Multiple Access techniques with a twist. Every MoCA network starts with a domain master (typically the first node powered up) that manages the wire. Every new node that joins gets assigned time to transmit from the master. There is also some free time left open for basic CSMA/CD transmissions. So in essence MoCA is "managed" TDMA.

How to make it work with satellite ...

Hey guys,

What are the steps needed to get either of these kits to work with satellite?
Would I need 2 triplexers to get this to work?
In my office, where the cable modem is, I do not have a TV, therefore no satellite STB. Would I still need a triplexer there? and then another triplexer in my living room to split the signals back up?
What is a moca coupler switch.
I've searched and googled, but haven't came up with a good write-up on how to get it to work with satellite.
I realize it's more complex, but that's the situation I'm in. Powerline works so-so, and wireless is a no-go for me.

Thanks for the help,
CFC

How concerned should I be about encryption? The Actiontec has no interface to put a password but the d-Link and Netgear do. Is this a feature that everyone should look for, or only those in certain situations, like apartment buildings?

I have been using the Netgear kit for a few months now and decided to add a third bridge in the basement. Since I can't just buy one Netgear bridge I looked around quickly and bought an Actiontec, not realizing that there is (apparently) no way to set the Encryption Key.

Does anyone know of either a way to set the Encryption Key or where i could get a Point-of-Entry filter such as this one with Cisco:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps8806/ps9095/ps10163/7016817.pdf

I wouldn't consider disabling the encryption on my MoCA bridges unless I could use one of these filters to keep my MoCA network from leaking out to the rest of my cable node...

"Since I can't just buy one Netgear bridge"

in case anyone is looking I am also looking. perhaps I buy and send you 1/2?

That's actually a good idea! I'd be interested in splitting a kit with someone here. I sent a DM to eaadams a few days ago, but he hasn't yet responded..

sorry I didn't reply. I don't login every day to these forums and had not setup e-mail notification of PM's. (now it is setup)

check your PM. we can do it.

I just bought a pair of Actiontec ECB2200s and am planning to hook them up to OTA coax lines. I was wondering if there would be issues with the signal radiating from my TV antenna? I see that both Cisco and PPC have MoCA filters available, which might be a good idea.

Should be no problem interfering with OTA signals.

Should be no problem interfering with OTA signals.

I realize that, but was wondering about possibly exceeding FCC limits (I haven't checked Part 15 or whatever regulations might apply). I guess network security might also be an issue. The PPC MoCA filters were recently announced and I haven't found any suppliers yet (nor for the Cisco filters), but they hopefully won't be very expensive.

My thanks to GeezerAl

GeezerAl's directions are spot on (post #16 05-20-2009). I just spent a day tearing my hair out trying to get these devices to work. I had my coax from the wall into a 2-way splitter and then onto a DXN-220 on one branch and my cable modem on the other. Every time I connected in the DXN-220, or switched from config to moca on the DXN-220, the cable modem would drop out and my internet connection was lost.

However, connecting the coax from the wall to the DXN-220's coax in/out and then the TV out from the DXN-220 to the cable modem, works just fine.

I did not need the suggested Channel Vision C-0314 1 In 4 Out Amplified Splitter.

D-link support were no help and I was passed from pillar to post through their system with many disconnections.

I also could not get the configuration utility to work until I added the utility program to my anti-virus (Trend) firewall allowable programs list. However, it wasn't any help since there's not much to configure!

Anyway, I was just about to send it back for a refund when I saw this, so once again thanks.

It works great with my home network and is faster and more reliable than wireless, but only if you use logic and not the diagrams they show you.

First of all, when I first hooked it up trying to use their diagrams, it kept disconnecting the modem from the ISP and I could never get the setup to work. Perhaps I misunderstand or misinterpreted their diagrams, but perhaps they just were too vague. Getting through to their support team is difficult at best. It is not supported at the lower levels, you have to be routed to a Senior Product Manager who specializes in this device! I never did get any support.

Here is what I finally ended up doing and it works spectacularly and reliably.

1. If you have satellite, you need to buy a Tru Spec T-3 triplexer (or equivalent). It separates out satellite, FM, and CATV frequencies. Connect the triplexer to your wall. Connect the CATV port of your triplexer to your Coax IN port on the DXN 220. If you only have a cable TV and not satellite, just hook up the DXN 220 IN to the wall using a standard CATV cable (they supply two).

2. Connect the TV OUT (ignore the TV part, it is just an out from the diplexer contained within the DXN 220) to the input of a Channel Vision C-0314 1 In 4 Out Amplified Splitter (or equivalent).

3. Connect your Cable Modem Coax connection to one of the 4 output ports on the Channel Vision.

4. Connect an Ethernet cable from the DXN 220 to one of the LAN ports on your router.

5. Connect your WAN port on the router to your Cable Modem.

6. In the other room, connect the Coax IN to the Coax connection in the wall (you can insert a splitter first if you also watch TV in the room).

7. Connect an Ethernet cable from the DXN 220 to the computer.

If the Power, LAN, Coax and 100 Mbps LED lights are on, you have a connection and there is really no need to worry about installing the software and configuring anything; it just works. If the Coax LED in front of the DXN does not glow, you do not have a good Coax connection. The only things you configure are some passwords, the frequencey (or SCAN) and Pass All if you do not need to watch TV. The defaults were fine for me.

The Channel Vision not only amplifies the signal in order to prevent yourself from being disconnected from the ISP as I was, it also allows you some flexibility in how you add devices to your network. The Channel Vision also has an internal filter to eliminate noise.

Good luck with this. I would recommend this to my clients who have problems using wireless and I know that it would work just fine.

By the way, I am using Windows 7, Build 7100 on two built-to-spec computers, one built by me and one built by AVA-Direct. (AVA's build is neater and nicer than mine.)

I am wondering if it is actually possible to send both the CATV, SAT, and MoCA signals down the same coax line utilizing the triplexer? In the example above, the SAT signals are removed by the triplexer, and the MoCA adapters are only handling CATV signals and the MoCA signals over the coax. Since this is capability is within the design intent of the technology, it works.

I am interested in sending SAT, MoCA, VHF/UHF (antenna), and CATV frequencies on the same coax line, but do not think this is possible. I searched and found the frequencies of all these items:

SAT 950 - 2200 Mhz
MoCA 875 - 1500 Mhz
VHF/UHF 54 - 450 Mhz
CATV 54 - 1002 Mhz
FM 88 - 108 Mhz

If the numbers above are correct, the SAT, CATV, and FM frequencies overlap, but a triplexer can separate them. I want to know if a triplexer can be used in combination with a MoCA adapter to send SAT, MoCA, CATV, and FM frequencies on the same coax line, even though they all overlap.

Thanks for any input.

Mark

Last edited:
I am wondering if it is actually possible to send both the CATV, SAT, and MoCA signals down the same coax line utilizing the triplexer? In the example above, the SAT signals are removed by the triplexer, and the MoCA adapters are only handling CATV signals and the MoCA signals over the coax. Since this is capability is within the design intent of the technology, it works.

I am interested in sending SAT, MoCA, VHF/UHF (antenna), and CATV frequencies on the same coax line, but do not think this is possible. I searched and found the frequencies of all these items:

SAT 950 - 2200 Mhz
MoCA 875 - 1500 Mhz
VHF/UHF 54 - 450 Mhz
CATV 54 - 1002 Mhz
FM 88 - 108 Mhz

If the numbers above are correct, the SAT, CATV, and FM frequencies overlap, but a triplexer can separate them. I want to know if a triplexer can be used in combination with a MoCA adapter to send SAT, MoCA, CATV, and FM frequencies on the same coax line, even though they all overlap.

Thanks for any input.

Mark

I decided to test this, since I recently purchased the pair of Actiontec ECB2200's. Although it would be nice to have this working with satellite, it is not critical. So, I just decided I would keep the Actiontec's no matter the result.

Anyway, the result is that it does not work. You cannot send SAT, CATV, and MoCA frequencies down the same cable with the Actiontec's; the MoCA does not work. As soon as I removed the SAT frequencies from the mix (with a diplexer), the Coax LED light up.

I was using diplexers in my SAT distribution system, which separate the CATV and SAT signals. I tried all combinations to get this to work, but was not successful. I also noticed that some of the two way splitters in my "pile 'o parts worked, while others did not.

I hope this helps someone.

Mark

Anyway, the result is that it does not work. You cannot send SAT, CATV, and MoCA frequencies down the same cable with the Actiontec's; the MoCA does not work. As soon as I removed the SAT frequencies from the mix (with a diplexer), the Coax LED light up.
The reason it doesn't work is that MoCA uses the same frequency band as SAT TV. Stick a SAT TV signal on the same coax and it and MoCA will collide.

Satellite work or not?

Tim, I'm a little confused. In post 28 you made it sound like post 16 (by GeezerAl) would work with Satellite. In 38 you say it won't? So can this work with Satellite if you use triplexers (or diplexers)?

I'm currently on Dish Network (ancient DVR 501D that I own), getting standard-def TV. When the TV or Dish PVR dies I figure I'll upgrade to HD, probably FIOS since it is now available in my area. I also a have a MythTV backend working with a XBMC frontend (original XBox). Since I don't have ethernet in the family room I'm using 802.11g (Linksys WRT-54GL running DD-WRT to a WAP-54G in WDS mode).

Lately I've started having problems with drops on the MythTV streams (new neighbors moved in and camped out on my formerly clear channels). I thought MoCA might be a good alternative to 802.11g and something that would eventually work for HD when I finally get there. If I can get it to coexist with the Dish Network I currently have.

In 38 I was explaining why MoCA won't work if MoCA and Satellite TV signals are on the same coax, i.e. without a diplexer, which separates the signals.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!