What's new

Most Stable Firmware for AiMesh (ASUS-WRT or Merlin)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darkgiants

Occasional Visitor
I currently have two ASUS RT-AC68U's currently running the stock ASUS firmware. I have played around with the Merlin firmware recently, but I am generally curious, for an AiMesh system (specifically for wireless backhaul), I have read threads on folks suggesting holding off from upgrading either Merlin or the latest ASUS-WRT because of various bugs. Is there a general consensus on what is the most stable platform? I was leaning on going back to the Merlin firmware, however, I am not generally sure if it would be worthwhile if AiMesh is not as stable?

AiMesh is as stable on RMerlin firmware as it is on Asus stock firmware. It can't be otherwise; it is a closed-source black box.

RMerlin firmware is about a million times less buggy than Asus stock though, (roughly).

There is no point in running stock firmware when RMerlin firmware is available for your router.

I would install 384.19_0 and be ready for the next round which will be at the 386.xx level.

I've been using AiMesh with an AC86U router and AC68U node and DWB for around several months now. When I started using this setup I had Merlin 384.17 on both, then .18 and now .19, all without any issues.

Good to know! Another question, is there optimal settings I should follow for my two RT-AC68U's? Because it would be a wireless node, I did make sure I use the appropriate bandwidth, a channel that is least congested. Though, I have seen some "recommended settings" guides for other ASUS routers using AiMesh and Merlin, is there anything specific I can implement to optimize my setup specific to these two RT-AC68U's?

Good to know! Another question, is there optimal settings I should follow for my two RT-AC68U's? Because it would be a wireless node, I did make sure I use the appropriate bandwidth, a channel that is least congested. Though, I have seen some "recommended settings" guides for other ASUS routers using AiMesh and Merlin, is there anything specific I can implement to optimize my setup specific to these two RT-AC68U's?

My install notes may help. Use different SSIDs per band and fixed channels.

OE

I currently have two ASUS RT-AC68U's currently running the stock ASUS firmware. I have played around with the Merlin firmware recently, but I am generally curious, for an AiMesh system (specifically for wireless backhaul), I have read threads on folks suggesting holding off from upgrading either Merlin or the latest ASUS-WRT because of various bugs. Is there a general consensus on what is the most stable platform? I was leaning on going back to the Merlin firmware, however, I am not generally sure if it would be worthwhile if AiMesh is not as stable?

All of them have been stable for me on my RT-AC68Us running an two node AIMesh.

Also run an single SSID and auto channels for both bands without any issues..