What's new

[MOVED POSTS] MU-MIMO still missing on RT-AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I will take your word for the laws as it applies to the UK and Europe, but your claims of what Asus has stated and has on their packaging is not correct, to my knowledge.

The facts are,
  • The hardware is there, with the capabilities claimed.
  • No MU-MIMO clients exist to 'need' that potential capability enabled.
  • If the rest of the features do not work for specific users, why would they hang on to a non working (for them) product? Sounds kind of dumb to me.
The laws as described are great for consumers if they protect them from unscrupulous business practices. However, it seems that just like anything unionized, the tables have turned. And it is the consumers that have become unscrupulous instead (where those laws are available).

To me, it simply hints at the entitlement attitude that has undermined Greece, Italy and soon enough, other EU countries as well.

I understand that if a product is a dud the manufacturer should make it right. But extended into over half a decade into the future depending on the product? Doesn't pass the sniff test of 'fair' for everyone to me.

Ill answer your bullet points

1. Yes the hardware is there, software is not. Asus states the router is mu-mimo capable and it will be enabled in the future update. Is it enabled yet? NO. As simple as that.

2. that is not an excuse not to enable a promised feature. We are sure that mu-mimo clients are coming. Do we have any assurance that asus can enable this feature? That there is no hardware issue that prevents them to enable it? It's been more than a year.

3. Maybe because they just recently found out about the issues? Like for example they don't have ac clients when they got the ac router? For future proofing? Not so future proof eh?

Yeah some people are dumb like me, that's why consumer prection is there to protect dumb people from being fooled by manufacturers.

I just bought an asus ac3200 and it's trouble free! Now i'll try to get my money back and return my year old ac87u. I'll report back.

I don't think that's true. if that were true there would be greater than 50% of negative reviews 2to1 stars.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NQY3WO8/?tag=smallncom-21
The router function as advertised for most users.

Here's a 5 star review from the Amazon...

It's brilliant when it works - Asus customer service also good
By Kung Fu Panda on 22 Oct. 2014
Style Name: AC1900 Mbps Dual-Band Verified Purchase
It's OK when it works. Mine has failed after about 5 months and won't now run for more than an hour without crashing. I have tried factory resets, latest firmware, older firmware, etc. It's a hardware problem, could be the power supply, but I suspect the router. Time to try out Asus' RMA process. Ho hum...​

Here's a 5 star review from the Amazon...

It's brilliant when it works - Asus customer service also good
By Kung Fu Panda on 22 Oct. 2014
Style Name: AC1900 Mbps Dual-Band Verified Purchase
It's OK when it works. Mine has failed after about 5 months and won't now run for more than an hour without crashing. I have tried factory resets, latest firmware, older firmware, etc. It's a hardware problem, could be the power supply, but I suspect the router. Time to try out Asus' RMA process. Ho hum...​

That is exactly why I usually ignore Amazon, Newegg, etc. 'reviews' and rely on my own good (better?) judgement.

The facts are,
  • The hardware is there, with the capabilities claimed.
  • No MU-MIMO clients exist to 'need' that potential capability enabled.
  • If the rest of the features do not work for specific users, why would they hang on to a non working (for them) product? Sounds kind of dumb to me.

Stop apologizing for Asus - seriously...

MU-MIMO is one item, but also is general 5GHz performance, and let's not discuss the WAN teaming...

The RT87U is a challenging product - most folks would be much better off with the 68U or something else...

Stop apologizing for Asus - seriously...

MU-MIMO is one item, but also is general 5GHz performance, and let's not discuss the WAN teaming...

The RT87U is a challenging product - most folks would be much better off with the 68U or something else...

I agree with you about the 'challenge' this product is for some. But I am not apologizing for Asus. On the contrary.

In the past, my mentors taught me very quickly to read advertising for what it is (to make you part with your money) and not for a list of spec's the product can or cannot do for you. Assumed or otherwise.

What a product can or cannot do in the real world for them is up to each consumer to decide. The best option is to simply return the product (immediately) if it doesn't live up to expectations in a specific (your) environment. Not keep it in the hope that it will magically be fixed in the next year or so.

The product works for many (and I would say most).

But all of the above does not shift the burden of usability to the manufacturer. The consumer still has the last word how applicable to their needs and expectations the product is. Whining about won't change this fact.

And if Asus decides to accept a year old router for a return, it is at their discretion (for good will, of course) and not the customer's 'rights' that would make them do so. If someone lives in a country that forces that behavior on manufacturers, then it may be 'legal' too. But as I've stated before, that kind of unionized thinking is a slow downward spiral for all.

LOL @ "for good will"

It's not for good will, it's to protect them from being sued because of promised features that they can't implement such as mu-mimo and port teaming.

Plus, we have 3 years warranty right? You know, to return a defective product and get a good functioning replacement, right?

Now my router have a defective 5ghz band, it doesn't work properly with most of my devices, you think if i RMA it i will get a router with properly working 5ghz band? We all know the answer to that is no. They have no choice but to give my money back

LOL @ "for good will"

It's not for good will, it's to protect them from being sued because of promised features that they can't implement such as mu-mimo and port teaming.

Plus, we have 3 years warranty right? You know, to return a defective product and get a good functioning replacement, right?

Now my router have a defective 5ghz band, it doesn't work properly with most of my devices, you think if i RMA it i will get a router with properly working 5ghz band? We all know the answer to that is no. They have no choice but to give my money back

Nothing indicates a case to be sued.

You: I want my money back for lack of MU-MIMO.

Lawyer: What client that has MU-MIMO capability have you tried this with?

You: There are none available. But just thought I would stir up some ^%&^. :)

Lawyer: Link Aggregation works with our test setup.

You: It doesn't work for me!

Lawyer: Some features may not work for all possible combinations of hardware, software, drivers and OS's.

Judge: Case thrown out. ;)

Again, a 3 year warranty is for a replacement router (usually identical and usually refurbished). There is no 3 year money back guarantee outlined by any manufacturer.

I wish you luck on getting your money back.

I also hope you become more critical of advertising copy too.

Nothing indicates a case that can be sued?

A promised feature that can't be implemented isn't a case? A broken 5ghz band that no matter how many times i get an RMA i will still get the same broken 5ghz, not a case?

Nothing indicates a case that can be sued?

A promised feature that can't be implemented isn't a case? A broken 5ghz band that no matter how many times i get an RMA i will still get the same broken 5ghz, not a case?
You can go and try. I don't think Wi-fi speeds or connections are guaranteed. It depends on ones environment. You'll have to prove the 5ghz band is completely broken because the design is faulty and it doesn't work in optimal conditions. You can't assume all is broken without having to RMA the router at least once. Unless you can prove the design is fault you will have to let Asus attempt to repair or replace the router. Consumer products are require by law to have a warranty. It's on you if you waive the warranty. Who said the promised feature couldn't be implemented? There wasn't a promised date to deliver that feature. The hardware is there but the software isn't. You can ask a lawyer how that will work without a written date.

The 5ghz issue can easily be proven, i have an ac3200 and r7000 that works perfectly, plus this forum itself with a bunch of people having the same issue.

we are talking about small claims court which doesn't let these big corporations to take their lawyers, i'll say i'll get my money back before the court date comes.

anybody here have sporadic crashes 87u ? Sometimes 14 days uptime, sometimes 2....
I use latest RMerlin fw.

Just got answer from my hardware dealer, at least amazon germany is taking back the Asus RT-AC87U and giving a full refund no matter of the purchase date. I was complaining about the unstable 5 ghz band and the questionable mu-mimo capabilities that are still advertised but not available. I also admitted that there seems to be hardware issues with Quantenna thats causes these problems and they´re trying to fix for more than a year without any success.

On one hand i like the Asus RT-AC87U because of it´s nice web gui and the fast processor. On the other hand particularly the 5 ghz band issues are very annoying and an absolute blocker.

I think i will give Asus another one or two (beta) releases and if nothing changes return the router.

Yeah, there are lots of post in the interwebs about asus, bestbuy, amazon, newegg, etc. Accepting returns of the rt87u/r way past 30 days of purchase.

Yeah, there are lots of post in the interwebs about asus, bestbuy, amazon, newegg, etc. Accepting returns of the rt87u/r way past 30 days of purchase.

It'll be interesting to see what Asus does when a lot of these returned devices land on their loading dock... Asus does have a brand and reputation to protect...

FWIW - having been in the consumer electronics industry, I'm reasonably certain that Asus (and other OEM's) have had some interesting, and perhaps intense, discussions with QTN on the performance of their solution.

Perhaps not in this forums but in overclock.net asus is known for their crappy customer service, way beyond terrible

All vendors watch the public - and perhaps thru subtle means, ASUS is starting to realize they have a problem with this device... and a way to justify it and move those costs back to a vendor (e.g. QTN)...