What's new

Moving from Direct TV to Spectrum : -(

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Klueless

Very Senior Member
I’m in the US. In my area we only have a choice of cable or DSL for Internet. My DSL is 6 (and I’m told I’m one of the lucky ones) Mbps. Cable Internet around here is expensive unless you get one of the “packages”.

Direct TV costs have been climbing. I hung on as long as I could because the service is great and I love the “Whole House DVR” system but the combined costs of TV, Internet and phone are just crazy, close to $200.

I bluffed; I called Direct TV a couple of times to tell them I was cancelling. They knocked $8 off my monthly so I called Spectrum for their $99 combo (voice, TV and Internet) package. This would cut my monthly bill by almost half.

On the plus side my Internet is now 60 Mbps and we can actually stream more than one TV show at a time (there are five of us and five TVs). On the downside we only have one DVR. Sure do miss that “Whole House DVR”. The higher speed Internet allows us to compensate some by using “On Demand”.

This time when I called Direct TV to really cancel they offered to knock $50 off of my monthly. If they had done that in the first place I would have stayed. It’s like they already knew I had switched and were now trying to get me to come back.

Spectrum told me I need a "Spectrum Box" for each TV. 5 boxes times $6 comes to an extra $30 per month. I asked why I can’t plug the cable directly into my TV like you could with Time Warner? Long story short it does work but come January when they start upgrading their service it will no longer work. Wow! Then, if true, come January their phones are going to be ringing like non-stop!

So my plan is to:
  • Replace ($99) my old “N” router with “AC” and relocate it to a better part of the house.
  • Buy a dual-band Roku stick ($39) to test with. AC for the nearby TVs, N over 2.4 GHz for the upstairs TVs.
    • Roku has a "Spectrum app" that supposedly will make my TV look like it’s on a “Spectrum box”.
    • Remove the “Spectrum box”. ($39 divided by $6 per month equals a 7 month break even.)
  • Plug cable directly into TV. (Backup for Roku and if Spectrum kills it next year I’ll still have the Roku.)
  • If this all works then I’ll convert a couple more TVs.
  • Replace my phone service with “Basic Talk” VoIP for $10 per month.
Rational:

Second year is when the prices go up. Spectrum is claiming they will only go up 10% a year until they hit list price. We’ll see. Long standing custom has been to jack everything to list prices come year two.

By year two I should have effected $24 in savings by swapping out four “Spectrum Boxes” with Rokus. Rokus will have been fully paid for with savings in year one.

By year two I should enjoying another $25 in savings by implementing “Basic Talk” VoIP. I’m leaning towards “Basic Talk” because they supposedly have help lines and implement QoS (which might be moot if I do it right with my router) for voice?

60 Mbps Internet should handle five HD TV streams and splitting TVs over two bands should insure adequate bandwidth over WiFi. Backup plan is to use SD as needed (or the cable connection until it actually does disappear).

And, who knows? Maybe by year two the family will have adapted to some of the Internet services such that I can disconnect cable and just add a few antennae for local channels?​

Last edited:
This time when I called Direct TV to really cancel they offered to knock $50 off of my monthly. If they had done that in the first place I would have stayed. It’s like they already knew I had switched and were now trying to get me to come back.

I've read that DirecTV has just recently ramped up their retention efforts:
https://slickdeals.net/f/10971511-directv-has-crazy-retention-deals-right-now

Spectrum told me I need a "Spectrum Box" for each TV. 5 boxes times $6 comes to an extra $30 per month. I asked why I can’t plug the cable directly into my TV like you could with Time Warner? Long story short it does work but come January when they start upgrading their service it will no longer work. Wow! Then, if true, come January their phones are going to be ringing like non-stop!

TWC switched to all-digital cable in early 2016 in many areas around the country. Here's an article claiming that a digital adapter would be required starting March 15, 2016 in the Syracuse, NY area. I'm worried that the information that you received from Spectrum about being able to plug their cable into your TV directly may be inaccurate.

So my plan is to:
  • Replace ($99) my old “N” router with “AC” and relocate it to a better part of the house.
  • Buy a dual-band Roku stick ($39) to test with. AC for the nearby TVs, N over 2.4 GHz for the upstairs TVs.
  • Roku has a "Spectrum app" that supposedly will make my TV look like it’s on a “Spectrum box”.
  • Remove the “Spectrum box”. ($39 divided by $6 per month equals a 7 month break even.)
  • Plug cable directly into TV. (Backup for Roku and if Spectrum kills it next year I’ll still have the Roku.)
  • If this all works then I’ll convert a couple more TVs.
  • Replace my phone service with “Basic Talk” VoIP for $10 per month.

Upgrading from N to AC Wi-Fi in your house is certainly worthwhile, especially if you'll be streaming throughout the house and your clients support AC.

Also look into cancelling the traditional cable TV package and going with Spectrum TV Stream. For $20/mo (the price likely increases over time) you could watch live TV and on-demand on the Roku boxes and you get a free Roku Express. The Roku Express only supports b/g/n Wi-Fi though...

Definitely find a cheaper home phone solution. I don't know anything about the options since I don't have a home phone.

Last edited:
Cable companies requiring a STB for each TV is nothing new...many have been moving this direction for years. Some claim it is for feature enhancement while others claim it is for bandwidth improvements.

Also to note...if dependent upon the 2.4GHz for streaming on more than one TV...unless you live in the country with no neighbors, it will be unlikely you will be able to handle more than one...maybe two...HD steams at a time on 2.4GHz. I know in my house, 2.4GHz tops out around 30Mbps and it is extremely bursty. It may work perfectly for your use case...just be prepared for an alternate plan if it doesn't perform the greatest. If anything, check your options to run a new Cat5e run upstairs to a dedicated AP for that floor.

They're making the transition to switched digital video, and sunsetting the older Analog and QAM broadcast signals.

SDV is more spectrum friendly, which opens up more bandwidth for broadband. You will need a box for each set, and no real way around it - just like with DirecTV.

I went the other way - moving from Cox for TV/Phone to DirecTV and dropped the landline (since we all have mobiles anyways). I kept Cox for broadband.

A guy I work with switched to spectrum from DTV, he has 100mbps and mainly uses rokus with the spectrum app in lieu of cable boxes. Loves it.

Thank you so much for the great reply!
I've read that DirecTV has just recently ramped up their retention efforts:
https://slickdeals.net/f/10971511-directv-has-crazy-retention-deals-right-now
Guess that explains why Direct TV offered me $50 off the last time I called (but not the two times I called before).
TWC switched to all-digital cable in early 2016 in many areas around the country. Here's an article claiming that a digital adapter would be required starting March 15, 2016 in the Syracuse, NY area. I'm worried that the information that you received from Spectrum about being able to plug their cable into your TV directly may be inaccurate.
That helped a lot! I'm only an hour and a half from Syracuse so we probably won't be far behind. I tried a TV with coax only and I do get a subset of channels ... for now. As per your article I'll try to score a couple of their free converters.
Also look into cancelling the traditional cable TV package and going with Spectrum TV Stream. For $20/mo (the price likely increases over time) you could watch live TV and on-demand on the Roku boxes and you get a free Roku Express. The Roku Express only supports b/g/n Wi-Fi though...
Great tip! I will look into it when I get a couple Rokus up and running.

A guy I work with switched to spectrum from DTV, he has 100mbps and mainly uses rokus with the spectrum app in lieu of cable boxes. Loves it.
Thank you. Sounds like I might be making the "right mistake"!

Last edited:
New Router pretty much set itself up in minutes. I'll load Merlin in a few days, want to see how things run for awhile first. I'm going to load Merlin so I can get a feel for traffic on each TV. Built-in traffic monitor should give me an idea as to how each band is doing and how close I come to saturating my Internet pipes.

I loaded up Acrylic WiFi Analyzer and tested against my old N66U, my new RT-AC1900P in the same location and then about 20' closer to center of house along the same back wall.
wifidb-jpg.11115

"Home Management" vetoed my proposed new location. My current location is horrible, far corner of the house, on the floor and buried behind a TV but ... it does work. The compromise was that I could hang a shelf in that corner and raise it off the floor ... after the holidays : -)

Attachments

• WiFiDb.jpg
    WiFiDb.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 947
Last edited:
I have "home management" talked into a couple of Ubiquiti APs across the house...as long as she can't see them on a daily basis. The most central one I got approved was going to be sitting on top of kitchen cabinets facing upwards to service the 2nd floor. Our cabinets have 4" of trim on the top face which perfectly hides the AP.

Sometimes a dedicated AP will have a higher WAF than the actual router does since they tend to look like smoke detectors.

I have "home management" talked into a couple of Ubiquiti APs across the house...as long as she can't see them ...
Cataracts help : -)
Sometimes a dedicated AP will have a higher WAF than the actual router does since they tend to look like smoke detectors.
Good tip. (Hopefully I won't need an AP.)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!