What's new

Moving to 2 floor house, want Asus Merlin comp. router, any reason not to buy the RT-AX88U Pro?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JarleH

Regular Contributor
Want Asus and Merlin compatible. So, is there any reason to get something 'better' then the Asus RT-AX88U Pro?

Edit:
I have the older Asus RT-AX88U now.

Last edited:
There is nothing really significantly better at the moment.
You won't get a significant improvement in RT-AX88U Pro over RT-AX88U.
If you don't need to replace wait for Wi-Fi 7 routers.

There is nothing really significantly better at the moment.
You won't get a significant improvement in RT-AX88U Pro over RT-AX88U.
If you don't need to replace wait for Wi-Fi 7 routers.
I may end up needing a repeater in the house, I fear that just the AX88U will not cover the whole house (I have to test). Can my old Asus RT-AC56U be used as a good repeater, or do I need to buy a new router and use the current AX88U as the repeater?

Can my old Asus RT-AC56U be used as a good repeater, or do I need to buy a new router
You can use RT-AC56U as Access Point (mode).
Please update firmware:
Asus RT-AX88U, Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14
Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14 is very old.

Find out what do you need when you move to the new place. Don't buy hardware in advance.

Want Asus and Merlin compatible. So, is there any reason to get something 'better' then the Asus RT-AX88U Pro?

Edit:
I have the older Asus RT-AX88U now.

It will depend on router placement, and the materials of the floors. Top floor near the middle will be best, but bottom floor may be ok. In either case I'd leave the two side antennas pointing straight up and the two back ones at 45 degree outward angles like \ /

My old AC router is on the top floor and covers both floors and basement with 5ghz no problem. I do have aluminum siding which helps keep the signal in, and standard wood floors.

It will depend on router placement, and the materials of the floors. Top floor near the middle will be best, but bottom floor may be ok. In either case I'd leave the two side antennas pointing straight up and the two back ones at 45 degree outward angles like \ /

My old AC router is on the top floor and covers both floors and basement with 5ghz no problem. I do have aluminum siding which helps keep the signal in, and standard wood floors.
I can now verify that the router alone, can not cover the whole house, so yes, I need a Access Point / Repeater router also. Can find the old RT-AC56U :cool:

I can now verify that the router alone, can not cover the whole house, so yes, I need a Access Point / Repeater router also. Can find the old RT-AC56U :cool:

Ooops, just found out I sold the RT-AC56U a while back. No wonder I could not find it...

What Access Point or router do you guys advice me to get to solve the situation? Get a new Asus RT-AX88U Pro and set the old Asus RT-AX88U as access point? Get a new mesh system? Any wifi 7 routers coming soon?..

Edit: Looks like wifi 7 routers are like a year away, so I guess not an option to wait for that...

Last edited: