What's new

Moving to a new (Merlin) device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xulian

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering to upgrade my rt-ac87u to a new Merlin's based router.

Tested for a time the great GT-AC5300 but finally decided to return it due to lack of Merlin's FW upgrade.

I'm watching for 64 bit platform, dual-core and 512Mb ram as minimum, best with 1Gb ram. And found RT-AX88u as a candidate. But I'm not sure if Merlin is going to support it...

Can anyone advice please? Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering to upgrade my rt-ac87u to a new Merlin's based router.

Tested for a time the great GT-AC5300 but finally decided to return it due to lack of Merlin's FW upgrade.

I'm watching for 64 bit platform, dual-core and 512Mb ram as minimum, best with 1Gb ram. And found RT-AX88u as a candidate. But I'm not sure if Merlin is going to support it...

Can anyone advice please? Thanks in advance.
My RTAC87U kicked the bucket last week so I swapped to an RTAC86U and it is a bloody good upgrade, for my uses anyway. I make use of router based VPN client and servers, and the hardware encryption is great. CPU usage barely pushed anymore. Everything else feels snappier too, and the 5GHz Wi-Fi actually performs acceptably now

Merlin will announce support or lack thereof when the device is released and he's assessed it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!