What's new

Multi Port 2.5Gbe Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not an 8 Port switch, but I have found 2 of them to be extremely stable. And at the time (mid-2021), I bought them for 150 each.

QNAP QSW-1105-5T 5-Port Unmanaged 2.5GbE Switch Broadcom BCM53161 chipset

I have been running the TrendNet switch. It has been working well with no issues.

The only problem I have with it is that every time I see it, I think about how much it cost. No other network switch has ever done that to me. I keep it behind other furniture, out of sight.

I am watching the Cisco small business switches. But until I get faster internet, I probably won't buy one. One gig switches are plenty fast until my internet speed catches up.

I should add large businesses are not too worried as they have plenty of 1 gig switch ports to saturate their 10 gig ports. They don't need to add a heavier load.

Thanks for the quick responses.
I've had luck with my 16-port TP-Link gig switch, and I was hoping for a 10-16 port (2.5Gb) to be readily available, but I can easily understand how everything has been stalled for the past years.
I will watch for price drop on the TP-Link, then order.
I'm frugal ;)

I agree, but @L&LD always pushes QNAP, and I didn't want to give him the satisfaction ;) (I've got a DS 918+).
Quietly placing the QNAP into my watch list. I do like that the QNAP is rack mountable.

Last edited:
QNAP did a good thing using a written OS for their switch. The problem is they used an outdated(EOL) OS version to write their interface on. Still, I would buy it over TP-Link as I think all their OS software's are not very good.

To me Cisco makes the best switches, but they are a little pricey.

I've had one of those TrendNet 8-porters for about two months now. No complaints. It's a bit ahead of the capabilities of my other gear, so I've not been able to push it to anywhere near the nominal total throughput; but it definitely can do at-least-2Gbps between random pairs of ports. Runs a little warm, but not nearly as warm as the Netgear switches I have elsewhere.

I've had good luck = no complaints, no failures for many with the TRENDnet fanless gigabit switches. I'm considering the 5-8 ports x 2.5 Gb versions to see if my circa 2000 Cat5 cabling (all shorter runs)... can carry higher rates. I don't have "in-hand" experience on these - just considering for now. YMMV.

You should grab these while you can Clark. When you get the router you want, these will be either unavailable or double the price. ;)

@L&LD You are so pushy with the QNAP, you've convinced me to buy QNAP Switch when I can find "on sale" or "Like New" via Amazon (USA). The white desktop version is on sale for $400, but the rack mount ($520) is all metal, and will look nice in my rack ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick responses.
I've had luck with my 16-port TP-Link gig switch, and I was hoping for a 10-16 port (2.5Gb) to be readily available, but I can easily understand how everything has been stalled for the past years.
I will watch for price drop on the TP-Link, then order.
I'm frugal ;)
For home, we think 8x 2.5GbE port + 2 x 10GbE SFP+ should be a good choice. The price can be about $100.
Do you really need 16x 2.5GbE ports, that one should be much expensive. Maybe $500~$600

@gocoax
The 16-port gig switch was $70 (years ago), and I used 12 ports.
The QNAP I mentioned is a rackmount 10-port managed switch, which Amazon has significantly more expensive, than other retailers. Possibly hoping to exploit consumers like me, that suddenly have new routers and want to utilize the network speeds (i.e Amazon just listed the GT-AXE16000).

Last edited:
Hot Deals Post

The QNAP 2.5Gbe 5-port is on sale.
I cancelled my order w/ Amazon, and ordered two from sale (saved $60).
Still waiting for Amazon to lower their cost of the QSW-M2108R-2C, which is $30+ more than other retailers.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!