What's new

Multi Port 2.5Gbe Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@gocoax
The 16-port gig switch was $70 (years ago), and I used 12 ports.
The QNAP I mentioned is a rackmount 10-port managed switch, which Amazon has significantly more expensive, than other retailers. Possibly hoping to exploit consumers like me, that suddenly have new routers and want to utilize the network speeds (i.e Amazon just listed the GT-AXE16000).
Got it. you can buy 2 switches, each switch has 8x 2.5G and 2x 10G SFP+ ports.
That is maybe the best choice.

Is there a managed small switch supporting 2,5g and 5g with LA?
ea. a firewall who can do LA (2x1g) to such a switch who get's 5g pushed from an ONT by splitting 5g over 2 ports linking the firewall via LA and 2 wan ports (and obviously does LA on 2 LAN ports).

I have a netgate appliance which I tested with 3x LA on WAN and 3x LA on LAN, this works, I don''t want to replace it with a 10g model as the whole chain supports LA here. I can get 5g from an ONT (pushed) which is on one cable, I need to split that in to more then 1 channel (hence LA), 1 LA (2g) is enough, hence looking for a 2,5g/5g switch doing LA. (5g on one port from ONT and 2 other ports as LA to netgate)

As the parts to my 2.5Gbe LAN upgrade have begun to arrive, I only now looked at the recent expenditures:
$400 GT-AX6000
$220 (two) QSW-1105-5T
$180 (six) 2.5Gbe Plugable USB adapters
$65 Tripp Lite PDU

Looking at the additional "upgrades" I would like to make to my network (adding poe cameras), so I am looking at QSW-M2116P-2T2S instead of two QSW-M210BR-2C

In my Elmer Fudd voice " shhhhh, I'm being verrry verrry quiet, about these upgrade cost, around The Wife"

Last edited:
I'm also curious to hear what Clark bought. But in the meantime, I recently bought a Ugreen 2.5G to USB-C adapter, and it seems to do what it says on the tin. Using that with a recent MacBook Pro, I was able to run two wire-speed iperf3 sessions concurrently from the MBP to two different 1G-capable servers. I don't yet own any other iperf3-capable machines with better-than-GB ports, so that's the best I can do at a performance measurement for now.

Plugable 2.5 Adapter (amended Post #26) I bought these from $24-$26 "Like New" sold by the mfg w/ Prime shipping. I was looking at the Asus and Sabrent models with the metal cases (Plugable case is plastic), yet I haven't experienced any excessive (or any) heat issues with the Plugable model. I have only installed three (onto computers) and work well with Driver update. I haven't had time to add to the NAS, yet Synology forums show "easy to follow" directions, so we'll see how it goes this weekend.

Last edited:
Yeah, the adapters are all pretty much the same other than speed and some instances the controller in them. Metal is faster for heat dissipation but, under normal loads you're not really pushing them to get a sustained heat load. If you don't need the higher 5GE speed then save the cash with what you're using.

If you want higher speeds w/o paying up for TB3/4 10GE then the 5GE is a nice middle ground at 1/3-1/2 of the price.

@L&LD You are so pushy with the QNAP, you've convinced me to buy QNAP Switch when I can find "on sale" or "Like New" via Amazon (USA). The white desktop version is on sale for $400, but the rack mount ($520) is all metal, and will look nice in my rack ;)
He's on commission clearly.

How can I be on commission on a forum? I didn't provide any link to purchase through either. :)

Just suggesting products I know work well for me.

How can I be on commission on a forum? I didn't provide any link to purchase through either. :)

Just suggesting products I know work well for me.
You should know by now I like to joke my friend.

I know, sometimes, I play the straight man. And you get more laughs. ;)

@Tech Junky
I read that many of the 2.5 adapters were similar, so I went for lowest price. I didn't notice any heat issues with the first two I bought, so I bought the rest the mfg had on Amazon. Since the plastic wasn't a heat issue, and the adapters are stationary, I won't need to buy the metal cased adapters.

@BreakingDad @L&LD
That's how the tricky sales people are they make you think You made the decision.
Have I ever told you about the time I bought The Family Truckster?

Have I ever told you about the time I bought The Family Truckster?
:) I am aware, I have all 4 on the server, I just looked though and there are 3 more I wasn't aware of, Hotel Hell,Christmas 2 and Vacation (a new one). They are 2000's remakes and probably terrible. I might watch them anyway.

I haven't had time to add to the NAS, yet Synology forums show "easy to follow" directions, so we'll see how it goes this weekend.
I'm curious how you get along with this. I have Synology NAS here and after reading briefly about how dongles would not work with DSM 7.1, I scrapped my 2.5 upgrade.
If you find it's workable, my budget will have a hole in it, but upgrade I will.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!