What's new

Multi Port 2.5Gbe Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@GHammer I haven't had any issues with DSM 7.1, and I installed the Plex app directly from Plex (not synology's) and the Family loves how it works. Regarding the adapter, install guides are there, yet I am having issues with the WOL. I had to stop "playing with the network", due to everyone home. and will attempt in the middle of the night. Family people know what I'm talking about.

@follower Money is the reason I am not perusing the 10Gbe Unicorn. My home is hardwired Cat5E to every room, so no issue reaching 2.5/5Gbe speeds. The next upgrades will include a(nother) NAS, computers, Cat6 wiring, and currently looking to add security cameras to house, which would include QNAP 20-Port 2.5/10Gbe POE Switch or similar.

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues with DSM 7.1, and I installed the Plex app directly from Plex (not synology's) and the Family loves how it works. Regarding the adapter, install guides are there, yet I am having issues with the WOL. I had to stop "playing with the network", due to everyone home. and will attempt in the middle of the night. Family people know what I'm talking about.

So, are you having issue with the USB adapter? I only use the NAS as a NAS, no additional tasks.

We only use the 918+ to backup computers and Digital devices, yet installed Plex server a few weeks ago(?). The adapter was working well, yet the NAS wasn't recognizing the usb adapter LAN signal to wake.
Still looking for an inexpensive 2.5Gbe (or greater) multi-port switch, preferably rack-mount. Of course it doesn't help that everyone else is looking for the same switch.

Last edited:
@GHammer I haven't had any issues with DSM 7.1, and I installed the Plex app directly from Plex (not synology's) and the Family loves how it works. Regarding the adapter, install guides are there, yet I am having issues with the WOL. I had to stop "playing with the network", due to everyone home. and will attempt in the middle of the night. Family people know what I'm talking about.

@follower Money is the reason I am not perusing the 10Gbe Unicorn. My home is hardwired Cat5E to every room, so no issue reaching 2.5/5Gbe speeds. The next upgrades will include a(nother) NAS, computers, Cat6 wiring, and currently looking to add security cameras to house, which would include QNAP 20-Port 2.5/10Gbe POE Switch or similar.
Used cuts off quite a bit on the price ($582) and since it's amazon warehouse that's most likely the box got damaged during shipping.*

*My current AX86U is an "amazon warehouse".

@Threska49
My experiences with Amazon Warehouse have made me only buy "Like New" or "Very Good". But thanks for the information.

@Threska49
Refurb Apple products from Apple = Yes
Refurb anything from Amazon = No

@L&LD In regards to Your Advice Sadly, I haven't seen this item available, since I started looking.

RE: Plugable 2.5 adapter

The adapters that I have setup have been working, but everyone in The Family states the same complaint, "The Light Is Too Bright!". I have placed Electrical Tape over the offending lights. Obviously there wouldn't be an issue in a lit room, but at night, the constantly blinking bright white light is annoying.

If needed I can be contacted on the proper technique of Light Suppression via Electrical Tape

Just use a sharpie or nail polish to cover it up. Nail polish could be interesting if you wanted to "tint" the light a different color.

@Tech Junky
That is exactly what my teen daughter wanted to use, but I said "wait until the return date passes."

RE: Plugable 2.5 adapter

The adapters that I have setup have been working, but everyone in The Family states the same complaint, "The Light Is Too Bright!". I have placed Electrical Tape over the offending lights. Obviously there wouldn't be an issue in a lit room, but at night, the constantly blinking bright white light is annoying.

If needed I can be contacted on the proper technique of Light Suppression via Electrical Tape

Interestig how different colors affects people. My old router was blue leds that was hard on the eyes. Current one is white and it's not as bad.

From ftth ONT 10gb in a single cat6e (or 5e less than 40m) to this switch 10gb port, use LA on 3x 1gbps, 2x 2,5gbps or 2x 5gbps LA enabled firewall (who don't support 10g, older models, but do support LA).

@GHammer
I haven't had any issues with the Plugable adapter and my DS918+. My issues were fixed with an additional reboot (two total). I followed Directions posted on github. The front usb is reccomended for the adapter, due to reported stability issues. I used the front usb, since my UPS is connected via the rear usb.
EDIT: The Plugable adapter isn't on the list, yet getting the generic drivers for the NAS were easy to locate and install.

Last edited:
TP-Link SG108-M2
I'm a long time user of a TP-Link 16-port gig switch, but their 2.5Gbe switch was a headache. I couldn't get switch to negotiate faster than 1Gb. After talking with their tech, they sent a new switch, which also failed to get faster than 1Gb.
I unplugged TP, then replaced with QSW-1105 and speeds immediately went to 2.5Gb between devices.
In my environment (YMMV), the Plugable adapters and the QNAP 2.5 switches seem to be working the best. Now waiting for QNAP 20-Port to come down to my puny budget.

TP-Link SG108-M2
I'm a long time user of a TP-Link 16-port gig switch, but their 2.5Gbe switch was a headache. I couldn't get switch to negotiate faster than 1Gb. After talking with their tech, they sent a new switch, which also failed to get faster than 1Gb.
I unplugged TP, then replaced with QSW-1105 and speeds immediately went to 2.5Gb between devices.
In my environment (YMMV), the Plugable adapters and the QNAP 2.5 switches seem to be working the best. Now waiting for QNAP 20-Port to come down to my puny budget.
Were you using Intel X550-based network cards when you found that that TP-Link 2.5Gbe switches wouldn't auto-negotiate? If so, did they auto-negotiate properly to 2.5Gbe using the QSW-1105? I'm curious because I have a Trendnet TEG-S762 that won't auto-negotiate with my X550 cards on the 2.5Gbe ports - just dumps them to 1Gbe. The 10Gbe ports connect at their full-rated speed using the X550 cards.

Last edited:
TP-Link techs had me use multiple devices (Mac, Windows, Linux) and spent too much time trying to get LAN to speed up.
The QSW-1105, I simply plugged into network, and all the 2.5Gbe adapters "worked".
I'm sure that I could have solved the challenge, but Time is Valuable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!