What's new

Multi-purposing unifi devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

3Greens

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I have a number of unifi devices in my home, including USG, CK2, APs.
I also have a RaspberryPi running a number of things, e.g. PiHole, Homebridge, etc.

As I find the RPi quite unreliable (and have struggled to get it to boot from a SSD), I was wondering if there is a precedent for installing some of these applications on the Unifi hardware? Would there be anything stopping you from SSHing into the CK and installing PiHole or AdGuard? Are there other Unifi components within the above that could also be dual purposed as I guess you can SSH into any of them? Are there risks associated with this? It strikes me that the CK2, in particular, is quite powerful and more than adequate to run more than the controller software.
Could the controller software even be installed on the USG? Just to push the boat out!

I was wondering if there is a precedent for installing some of these applications on the Unifi hardware?

No. Instead of using RPi and SD cards (usually the unreliable part), get an used mini PC from eBay and run whatever Linux version you need on it. It will be much faster/reliable and the same cost as RPi 4 kit. Your USG is very slow hardware, it tanks below 100Mbps WAN-LAN with QoS. Your CK2 is purposely built hardware. You can't do anything on the AP's. Leave UniFi doing what it does best, offload other services to better dedicated hardware.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!