What's new

Multiple NAS devices on 1 Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mrmb

New Around Here
I would like to use one (1) NAS to store Media Files (movies & audio). And use a 2nd. NAS for backup and an active directory for my wife and myself.

Would the two separate NAS drives simply pick up different IP addresses from the router, allowing both units to be managed separately? Access will be internal; no need to access either NAS from outside our LAN.

I'm a NAS newbie with a yet-to-be-used QNAP unit with 4 HD's. This will be what we access to share files. I plan on purchasing another NAS (albeit a QNAP or Synology) solely for Media Files. Yeah, I presently have a ton of files which are growing exponentially as I rip.

Is this is as straightforward & simple as my lack of NAS/LAN management knowledge suggests (yup, just guessing here; hence, the question)? And if so, would I be causing problems/significant complexity by combining a QNAP device with a Synology (or for that matter, any other NAS brands)?

Connecting a NAS to a network is as simple as connecting any other device.

No need to worry about this at this stage. :)

They will each have their own IP's and you will decide on the NAS units themselves how they will be used/shared. ;)

And if so, would I be causing problems/significant complexity by combining a QNAP device with a Synology (or for that matter, any other NAS brands)?
Makes no difference. I currently have 5 x NAS units on my network, from 3 x different vendors. A NAS is essentially a dedicated computer (PC) so you can have as many as you want / need / can afford. The network doesn't care what the device is. Could be a PC, phone, tablet, NAS, raspberry Pi, switch, echo, google home, etc etc.

Every device on your network requires a unique IP address which is typically assigned using DHCP on your router. After that, you use that IP to "access" the device through an app or browser (generally - if it requires a UI).

Connecting a NAS to a network is as simple as connecting any other device.
Or as complicated as some devices :) most of my NAS units have dual (or triple) NICs so it *could* be a bit more complex, but as you say, in general it is a single connection and more or less plug and play.

Thanks L&LD and dosborne. I was hoping that it may be as simple as connecting and managing any of the other multiple devices on our network. On the surface that seemed to be the case, but I appreciate the confirmation of same.

Although I recently registered on SNB, over the years, I've spent many hours researching routers and NAS units et al. Thus, thanks to SNB in general and all of its forum contributors for the help and assistance I've found here!

Never hurts to confirm! I'd hate to spend a bunch of money and find out my basic assumptions were wrong.

I
... And if so, would I be causing problems/significant complexity by combining a QNAP device with a Synology ...?
I've got each. The only "problem" I have is seeing Synology's DSM and QNAP's QTS side by side. :) If one of them appeals to you, you may hate the other. I don't like either very much so it doesn't bother me. (I thought I disliked DSM until I saw QTS.)