What's new

Multiple VPN clients active for different devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The firmware does allow for multiple concurrent OpenVPN clients:
So I have:

Three VPN ISP hosted geographical end-point connections
and
One private (family) OpenVPN RT-AC68U->RT-AC56U connection

concurrently running:

View attachment 10113

This interface doesn't exist in the stock ASUS firmware, so apparently ASUS-Merlin is needed to connect a single non-VPN Fusion capable router to multiple VPN servers simultaneously? If yes, then I finally have a necessary reason to switch over to ASUS-Merlin.

This interface doesn't exist in the stock ASUS firmware, so apparently ASUS-Merlin is needed to connect a single non-VPN Fusion capable router to multiple VPN servers simultaneously? If yes, then I finally have a necessary reason to switch over to ASUS-Merlin.

I am not 100% sure as I have not used stock for since whenever I found Merlin's FW, but I think so ... and even if it was "no", using Merlin's FW is a better option than the stock FW

I am not 100% sure as I have not used stock for since whenever I found Merlin's FW, but I think so ... and even if it was "no", using Merlin's FW is a better option than the stock FW

I agree its better, but since I haven't had a need for the Merlin features, and because the stock firmware has met my needs, I haven't bothered to switch. But I will be switching now. :)

Since I wish to have greater control of the OpenVPN clients, I use an enhanced script that can be scheduled by cru (cron) or called from /jffs/scripts/nat-start or based on errors in Syslog etc.

Code:
#====================================================================================================
#
# Switch between VPN Clients
#
#   e.g.   VPN_Switch   [stopall|status|fix|help | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 ] [off|on|restart]
#
#          VPN_Switch
#                       Restart current ACTIVE VPN Client but if none ACTIVE, then Start VPN Client 1
#          VPN_Switch   5
#                       Terminate current ACTIVE VPN Client then switch to VPN Client 5
#          VPN_Switch   off
#                       Terminate current ACTIVE VPN Client.
#          VPN_Switch   3   on
#                       Start VPN Client 3
#          VPN_Switch   3   off
#                       Stop VPN Client 3
#          VPN_Switch   2   restart
#                       Bounce VPN Client 2 (for ISP HMA a 30 sec delay occurs after the disconnect before the actual restart)
#          VPN_Switch   status
#                       List the status of ALL VPN Clients
#          VPN_Switch   stopall
#                       Terminate ALL VPN Clients
#          VPN_Switch   fix
#                       Change any VPN client from state=-1(Error Conflict) to state=2(UP) ....use with caution!
#          VPN_Switch   help
#                       Show syntax help

but the GUI allows enabling 'Start with WAN' for each OpenVPN client config, or they can obviously be started manually either via the GUI or executing the appropriate service request command via SSH for the OpenVPN client instance:
Code:
service start_vpnclient1
service restart_vpnclient2
etc.

Hi, will this commands (service start_vpnclient1) also work on standard Asus WRT?