What's new

VPNMON Multiple vpn connections?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

charleyshf

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could answer this. Can this be script be modified to work with 5 different vpn's connected to different locations on the router at the same time? IE we have 5 people who have nord vpn installed on their laptop/pc/phone and they all connect to different vpn server locations via the nord vpn app. According to nord if you use your router you can have unlimited connections, and also each person can connect to different vpn servers, however this script I don't think would work for this or is there a way to get it work for this?

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could answer this. Can this be script be modified to work with 5 different vpn's connected to different locations on the router at the same time? IE we have 5 people who have nord vpn installed on their laptop/pc/phone and they all connect to different vpn server locations via the nord vpn app. According to nord if you use your router you can have unlimited connections, and also each person can connect to different vpn servers, however this script I don't think would work for this or is there a way to get it work for this?
That functionality goes beyond what VPNMON-R2 was designed for. It is meant to help maintain the health of a single connection and randomly reconnecting through one of the other remaining 4 slots, though I have heard of some people only assigning slots 1-3 for VPNMON-R2 purposes in keeping their main connection up, and using slots 4-5 for their own purposes, knowing that VPNMON-R2 won't monitor those slots. The other purpose of the script was to randomize slots, and randomize endpoints... It sounds to me like you want each of these slots statically connecting and reconnecting to the same endpoint?

Hello,
So, after reading your message again, you said that you're running the Nord app on each individual laptop/phone/pc. If that's the case, you wouldn't have any need for this script, as it manages VPN connections that are originating from the router itself using the OpenVPN clients. You are originating your VPN connections from the devices themselves, going through your router, to Nord, and then out to the rest of the internet. The reason you might want to use your router as the VPN client would be to route all WiFi traffic from your local home network through a Nord VPN tunnel without its traffic being exposed on your WAN.

Thank you for getting back to me, pretty much I was trying to see if I could replace what nordvpn is doing on each device so no one had to run the nordvpn software, and the router would take care of it.

Thank you for getting back to me, pretty much I was trying to see if I could replace what nordvpn is doing on each device so no one had to run the nordvpn software, and the router would take care of it.
I think theoretically it would be possible. Each VPN slot would have its own separate Nordvpn exit, and you would need to assign a separate guest wifi network (using Yazfi) to tunnel though for each of the slots. Then each person would need to connect their devices to their own private guest wifi network. It would be an interesting experiment, but I think it would work?

I'm actually trying something, if I use VPNMON to randomly assign vpn connections, give each device a static ip and have each one connect to openvpn# it's working, is there a way to get vpnmon to just check to make sure each connection is not down instead of making sure only one vpn connection is active? Sorry if I am not explaining this right...

I'm actually trying something, if I use VPNMON to randomly assign vpn connections, give each device a static ip and have each one connect to openvpn# it's working, is there a way to get vpnmon to just check to make sure each connection is not down instead of making sure only one vpn connection is active? Sorry if I am not explaining this right...
That's unfortunately one of the checks I make to ensure only 1 VPN connection is active, not causing weird routing issues... but you could bypass this functionality by commenting out lines 736 - 756? See if that works for you?

I commented out lines 736-756, I let it run for a bit and it does kinda work, but when I manually enable a second or more vpn connections with vpn director, the script, when it goes to check vpn connections, some will show ping/http failed on one or more but some of the others will be okay, it executes a vpn reset on all the connections

I commented out lines 736-756, I let it run for a bit and it does kinda work, but when I manually enable a second or more vpn connections with vpn director, the script, when it goes to check vpn connections, some will show ping/http failed on one or more but some of the others will be okay, it executes a vpn reset on all the connections
Ok yeah, that was just a good guess... I would need to thoroughly test this functionality to make this work. I'll add this to my list!

You will encounter issues using UDP for multiple VPN connections to the same provider. I tried that long ago; I had to use TCP for the second connection. Unfortunately, TCP is much slower.

You will encounter issues using UDP for multiple VPN connections to the same provider. I tried that long ago; I had to use TCP for the second connection. Unfortunately, TCP is much slower.

Unfortunately I found that out, even with using random best connections, in the end each person just uses the vpn software on their devices

I will remove this from my list, as it may be fruitless in the end to get this working...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!