What's new

Multiple "WAN_Connection: Fail to connect with some issues" and "nf_conntrack: expectation table full"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ExtremeFiretop

Over the last 2 nights at around the same time my router has lost WAN connection... I'm running an AX88U with 388.2_2
I checked the logs (attached) and notice all it seems to say is: "WAN_Connection: Fail to connect with some issues" and "nf_conntrack: expectation table full" in connection with the WAN drops.

Anyone have any idea what the cause might be? This is new over the last 2 days I don't remember this being an issue before. :/

I have the ChkWAN.sh installed to reboot the router once it's see's WAN drop, but I was literally just sitting watching a TV stream when the AX88U WAN dropped and I waited until the script rebooted the router and everything was back to normal.
I then spent a few minutes on the forums troubleshooting and it happened again! So now this is 3 times in about 24 hours that I'm aware of at least.

Same thing happened last night at around 12:23 at night instead of 12:52 at night from the logs.

Looking for anyone that can help point me in the right direction.
So far I'm looking at the following threads for the fail to connect error:

This conclusion of that thread was the reason I installed the ChkWAN.sh script yesterday.

I don't have any advanced features enabled like QoS, I do have a 2GB Swap File enabled, I don't even have an ISP provided modem, I'm using this with a media converter which takes 1Gbps Gpon and converts it to 1Gbps Ethernet.
This setup has worked for years without issue to bypass the modem. No reset router config changes other than installing ChkWAN.sh (due to the errors which were already happening).

For troubleshooting root cause I'm looking at these so far:

Here are the add-ins and scripts I'm running:

1. Diversion w/ pixelserv
2. uiDivStats
3. scMerlin
4. spdMerlin
5. RTRMON
6. Entware Packages
7. Disk Check Script
8. LED Control
9. Reboot Scheduler
10. ChkWAN.sh

Attachments

• output.txt
    59.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Current ideas include:

1) Swap File Changes:

Add the following command to the "/jffs/scripts/services-start" script (you can use the nano or vi text editor to do this).
echo 60 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

2) Set a higher value to nf_conntrack_expect_max:

Writing a higher value to the following should dispel the messages
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_expect_max (Default: 150, change to: 352)

3) Uninstall Divergent

This appears to be an ISP issue and nothing to do with your router.

I guess that's possible. Just Hard to believe; considering that theres no ISP modem in play and Bell had no reported outages on their website.
Bell also usually send an email out when they do scheduled maintenance. And I didn't see any email from them over the last 2 days.

This is fiber to the home so it doesn't usually just drop for a few minutes and come back lol. It's not cable.
Why it would only be a few minutes at a time? Someone at Bell just unplugging and than instantly replugging stuff in for fun?

Are you saying I should be chasing after Bell for playing with my network in the off hours; without notice or official posting about the outage?

Are you saying I should be chasing after Bell for playing with my network in the off hours; without notice or official posting about the outage?
I don't know what's normal for Bell but it's pretty normal for my ISP to do local maintenance or fix faults overnight without any warning, and without any acknowledgment after the fact. Sometimes if I phone them up they can confirm there is/was a local issue.

I don't know what's normal for Bell but it's pretty normal for my ISP to do local maintenance or fix faults overnight without any warning, and without any acknowledgment after the fact. Sometimes if I phone them up they can confirm there is/was a local issue.

I appreciate your time reading everything over and writing back your thoughts.
I will definitely keep an eye on this and if it happens again tonight will call Bell right away.

It's just not the service I've been accustomed too, I am up usually working at night, and so I have got used to getting email notifications when they plan downtime.
Maybe as you said, it wasn't "planned" downtime, but really them quickly fixing something in the night "without expected downtime."

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!