What's new

Diversion Multiple Whitelists in Diversion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PeterLiljedahl

Occasional Visitor
As Diversion currently works we can add a secondary blocklist (preferrable smaller) and link it to an IP on the LAN.
I am thinking if it's possible to instead have one large main blocklist as usual for all devices and then use separate whitelists
for a couple of IP's on the network?.
Would this require a separate instance of dnsmasq started for every IP we want to associate to a whitelist?
Would it bog down the CPU if we were to run lets say a medium blocklist with 3 whitelists (3 IP's) with 5 domains in each?

As Diversion currently works we can add a secondary blocklist (preferrable smaller) and link it to an IP on the LAN.
I am thinking if it's possible to instead have one large main blocklist as usual for all devices and then use separate whitelists
for a couple of IP's on the network?.
Would this require a separate instance of dnsmasq started for every IP we want to associate to a whitelist?
Would it bog down the CPU if we were to run lets say a medium blocklist with 3 whitelists (3 IP's) with 5 domains in each?
You could try this out, I think it does what you are trying to do.

Thanks man, I wonder if this could run alongside diversion given it wraps around dnsmasq which Diversion also uses
creating race conditions, status conflicts etc.
Guiderails might be perfect for iot devices and cams and alike.

Thanks man, I wonder if this could run alongside diversion given it wraps around dnsmasq which Diversion also uses
creating race conditions, status conflicts etc.
Guiderails might be perfect for iot devices and cams and alike.
I believe it is best if Diversion had such an option. Let me see what I can do.

Thanks man, will be interesting to see how it turns out.
I was hoping to work on this feature last weekend. A pressing work related matter had me travel to the US on short notice, figure out the reason for the failure and get it back to working order. I returned yesterday and today another system refuses to work. So this too needs my personal attention which I have to go to this Saturday. Luckily, it‘s only 2 hours away from where I live but my weekend is probably shot again.
The joy of being the senior troubleshooter has no bounds :(

So be patient, I‘ll get to coding as soon as I can.

I was hoping to work on this feature last weekend. A pressing work related matter had me travel to the US on short notice, figure out the reason for the failure and get it back to working order. I returned yesterday and today another system refuses to work. So this too needs my personal attention which I have to go to this Saturday. Luckily, it‘s only 2 hours away from where I live but my weekend is probably shot again.
The joy of being the senior troubleshooter has no bounds :(

So be patient, I‘ll get to coding as soon as I can.
We humbly await your workings kind sir! Hope everything is well.

Thank you for all of your hard work. I am also interested in this, except I would be looking to add a secondary blacklist.

@PeterLiljedahl and others interested in this threads feature request.

As I understand the OP's post and the linked guiderails wrapper script (https://github.com/SidShetye/guiderails) suggest that this feature be a restricted access for specific devices connected to the router.

I implemented a solution into Diversion called "Restricted access for devices" that DENIES all domains except those specifically ALLOWED in a whitelist, exactly as guiderails does.
Is this how the OP wants it and is there indeed interest for such a feature?
If so, I'll clean and polish the code and ship it with the next Diversion update.

@PeterLiljedahl and others interested in this threads feature request.

As I understand the OP's post and the linked guiderails wrapper script (https://github.com/SidShetye/guiderails) suggest that this feature be a restricted access for specific devices connected to the router.

I implemented a solution into Diversion called "Restricted access for devices" that DENIES all domains except those specifically ALLOWED in a whitelist, exactly as guiderails does.
Is this how the OP wants it and is there indeed interest for such a feature?
If so, I'll clean and polish the code and ship it with the next Diversion update.
Nice work @thelonelycoder . This indeed is a great option to have. Especially if it can be used with either primary or secondary blocking features. I could easily see one segment of the network being blocked, and another segment of the network simply being filtered. Great work.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!