What's new

My Experiance with the RT-AC87U And No It's not Good

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

New Firmware Same problem....I have insane speeds, but not stable enough to stream. It will do fine for a while...than drop..then do fine then drop.....I counted twenty nine drops in a 1.75 hour movie....unacceptable.

Streaming from Netflix or Hulu type of services or streaming movies from a Hard Drive via USB on the router?

Router works great for me as far stable internet connection for Netflix, gaming, downloading, videos, etc.... A whole different story for the USB Ports. If you are talking about the USB Streaming via DLNA then I hope I am not the only one.

I replaced the AC-87 router thinking my USB ports were defective but same problems with the second one. USB Printer Server always disconnects and My Hard Drive can't stream a movie without it disconnecting 18 times during the movie. Issue happens on both the USB 2.0 & 3.0 ports.

Hope in the 3XXX firmware they address the issue.

I've always been squirrelly about USB printer sharing. Far better practice just to get a printer with an Ethernet port. It works no matter the router.

I admit I prefer Ethernet for an attached drive too due to speed. But I do understand USB attached storage as sometimes being a need.

hey guys ports 1 and 2 are labeled teaming on the router, for the life of me i cant find any documentation on what they do or how to use them, anyone have a point of reference? or an explanation please?

LAN 1 ~ 2 ports (Teaming ports) <--- Thx Mates

My flat RT-AC87 runs cooler than my standing RT-AC68, so I disagree with the claim that this causes any overheating issue. A chip rated for running at 120-130C is perfectly fine if it runs at 85C. Just because it feels warm does not mean it's abnormally warm.

I used to have a video card whose GPU would hit over 100C under load, and it was perfectly fine. It all depends on the temperature at which a given chip is rated to operate.

Merlin,
Can you please provide a link to the site/page where it has the operating specifications for the CPU chip? You state that the chip is rated for 120-130C. I am not doubting you, I just want to read that myself since it contradicts what I know about microprocessors on silicon substrate.

I recently purchased a RT-AC68W router and, after installing Asus-Merlin Fork firmware, I noticed that the idle temperature of the CPU was running at 87C. This was of concern to me so I'd like confirmation that my new router will not die prematurely due to poor cooling.

Merlin,
Can you please provide a link to the site/page where it has the operating specifications for the CPU chip? You state that the chip is rated for 120-130C. I am not doubting you, I just want to read that myself since it contradicts what I know about microprocessors on silicon substrate.

Those specifications are not publicly available unfortunately. I am basing my comment on info provided to me by an engineer who works with Broadcom SoCs at his workplace. While not specific to the BCM4709, he told me that it's not uncommon for BCM's SoC to have a max supported temperature of 130C.

I recently purchased a RT-AC68W router and, after installing Asus-Merlin Fork firmware, I noticed that the idle temperature of the CPU was running at 87C. This was of concern to me so I'd like confirmation that my new router will not die prematurely due to poor cooling.

Anything under 90C is fine, and similar to what everyone else is experiencing. Mine was at around 84C back when it was my main router.

Lets get started shall we!

8. Too sick to list all the other garbage software issues.

I only have to say this asus what kind of idiotic developers do you have working on these routers? Why don't you test it in real enviroments connecting to your other routers as well? How can you launch something that is THIS Bad that you can't do anything with it but watch it.

I have since just plugged in my 68R and will probably just return this pos router and actually buy a competitors solution that I can actually setup and get it to work.

I've spent years with the N66U and AC68U. While the AC87U's list of basic stability problems sound worse than earlier versions at launch, I can tell you that unfortunately overall the software side of Asus router development has indeed been falling behind the competition. As a long time Asus user, I only realized how bad things were with ASUS when I finally bought a competitor product so I could have real and reliable dual-WAN fail over functionality. The competitor products are just so much better on the software side.

It's sad, but like my experience with the 66 and 68 routers, I don''t think 87 owners will ever see the full advertised feature set actually work reliably. ASUS's game is just to keep pumping out new firmware updates but after years of ownership I can promise you the problems never actually get resolved.

Returned

I just returned the 87's and installed 2 R8000's. Best decision I've ever made. They work great. 3 days of smooth internet.

Tom

I just returned the 87's and installed 2 R8000's. Best decision I've ever made. They work great. 3 days of smooth internet.

Tom

tmichelena unless Asus resolves their current issues with the delayed and upcoming firmware I think I may follow your example and return two of these POS routers and get Netgears.

I have been a loyal Asus customer for over a decade, all our motherboards are Asus, but really, their other products such as sound cards, video cards and routers are seriously degrading a once great brand.

I encourage users to post their comments to Amazon, Newegg etc. Those sites have huge coverage and are more widely viewed and influence buying decisions compared to posting to a nerds forum such as this one! #AsusAC87UFail

Last edited:
Update

Hi all, I just wanted to give you an update on my R8000's. I haven't rebooted them ONCE. The more I use my devices, internet radios, ect, the more I realize how superior they are even to the Asus 66's and 68's. They simply perform.

Certainly would be interesting to know your configuration. I'm in the boat
with those who have had no issues (so far :p). I have a number of wired,
2.4Ghz, and 5 Ghz. I stream Blu-ray movies to my TV (5 GHz) from my NAS
without a hitch. My wife works from home on her laptop (2.4 GHz), 8 hrs/day,
5 days a week, connects via VPN ...no problems. It's interesting the wide
extremes people have with this router.

There are more people who have "no" problems and enjoy this router than people "with" problems. You have two on this page who wanted to vent out they are in the category with issues.

Sir.....what is the source of this information? If there is indeed information out there that factually proves I have a lemon I would love to get it, so maybe ASUS would exchange mine free of charge.

This router definately has quirks, my problems are usually the web config acting crazy.. but once its setup this has been one of the most solid routers i've owned, did a 5G test streaming an 18GB BluRay rip to my phone(s5), a macbook pro, and an older N laptop all on 5G(153ctr if it matters) at the same time for about 20 minutes before I got bored...no drops or stutters...

but wireless is screwy like that...and I still wouldn't use it for anything critical from any brand. I'll take a wired link, or 2....Hey Asus hurry up with the "Teaming Port" shenanigans.

There are more people who have "no" problems and enjoy this router than people "with" problems..

Sure IF you consider rebooting this POS router multiple times per day to keep it performing with "no problems" then I agree with you.

Sure IF you consider rebooting this POS router multiple times per day to keep it performing with "no problems" then I agree with you.

Have not had to reboot the thing at all. But I dont use my routers as usb storage hubs or any of that nonesense.

Hello,

Not sure what your problems with the router you have/had but my uptime has been pretty good.
Only annoyance is once in awhile I get "Nov 5 15:07:03 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address".

Attachments

• uptime.JPG
    uptime.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 470
I think one router by itself works fine. It's those with multiple routers using others as access points is where they fail. That is the configuration I was using. And that is the configuration that did not work. I am using two R8000 netgears. They play well together and work much better.

I have not had to do this. My RT-AC87R has been up for weeks. The last time I restarted was precautionary, when I enabled AiProtection.

Unlike some, I'm not using USB (I believe that storage and printing are best done as network services through TCP/IP, not shared via a USB port), but I'm not doing a completely plain configuration. I've got both 2.4GHz and 5GHz working (mostly 5GHz), with a 5GHz connection from a 2x2 AC bridge. I've got DHCP with reservations, and some port forwarding rules. I've got OpenVPN server enabled, and before that, I had OpenVPN client enabled.

In the end, I wish the RT-AC68P had been out when I bought my router, as I think it's a better value for my needs, but the RT-AC87R has been fine for me after the initial two firmware releases; 2769 has been stable.

Lonewolf,
You say "'Ive got DHCP with reservations, and some port forwarding rules". I am curious if your reservations are within the DHCP pool or if you subnetted or.

Thanks,

Michael...

Lonewolf,
You say "'Ive got DHCP with reservations, and some port forwarding rules". I am curious if your reservations are within the DHCP pool or if you subnetted or.

Thanks,

Michael...
I'm reserving within the pool at the moment; a single /24 mask is enough for use at home. If I do decide to use vlans, I'll probably put my Watchguard firewall at the head-end, bring my managed switches online (those and the Watchguard are currently my lab configuration) and use my HP Microserver (which is running Server 2012R2) for DHCP. At that point, the RT-AC87 would become just an access point.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!