What's new

My first NAS build, your thoughts are appreciated

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which of the two, the NAS or the HTPC do you envision expanding? Use the upgradable MB for the box that you see changing the most often.

For most folks the answer is the NAS, more drives, more functions, more memory. The storage you have is never enough.

In my case I have gone thru three different NASes configurations, while upgrading my HTPC once (so it could dual task as a HTPC and DAS client), but this might be different for you.

My two cents, but of course this is the DIY NAS forum, not the DIY HTPC forum. They might disagree.

Your electricity bill may also disagree, HTPC generally don't end up running 7x24, NASes often do (2am rsyncs and other hygiene).

Here's where they stand...

Capture.png

In terms of storage both are pretty much even although the AM3 board has a built in RAID controller. I'm going to build the server around the AM3 board for now... plug a killawatt in and average out consumption. The E350 will serve HTPC duty as it has built in graphics anyway. If consumption gets way out of hand I'll switch them over.

The 2 AM3 CPUs are interesting after reading the specs. At load the 210e seems to draw more but idles at 10W less. The 610e is the inverse.

Last edited:
FYI the 880G-E45 AM3 motherboard does have built in graphics. It has the AMD 880G chipset which has a HD 4250 graphics card built in. Overall that board should be pretty efficient. I have a MSI 890GX-G65 motherboard with AMD Phenom II 955 in my server that idles at about 45-50 watts with all the data drives spun down. If I took out my Intel PRO/1000 PT server NIC I believe I could see under 40 watts at idle. Since you will be using a more efficient CPU chances are you would see under 40 watts at idle with that setup.

Let us know how it goes.

00Roush

FYI the 880G-E45 AM3 motherboard does have built in graphics. It has the AMD 880G chipset which has a HD 4250 graphics card built in. Overall that board should be pretty efficient. I have a MSI 890GX-G65 motherboard with AMD Phenom II 955 in my server that idles at about 45-50 watts with all the data drives spun down. If I took out my Intel PRO/1000 PT server NIC I believe I could see under 40 watts at idle. Since you will be using a more efficient CPU chances are you would see under 40 watts at idle with that setup.

Let us know how it goes.

00Roush

Hey, you're right... I don't know how I could have missed that. Intergrated HD4250 just as you said.

Just to add... I bought both processors; the 610e and the 240e. I figure I'd try them both to see which suits me best. Can't have too much hardware... I'll sell off one of them eventually or add it to my growing collection of processors. I'm going to check how well WHS 2011 scales on an X4 vs an X2 and see which matters more; a higher clock speed or core and thread count. It should be interesting if only to serve my curiosity. The processors are in Oregon and should be here in a week. In the meantime, I'm going to start on the HTPC and work out my network cabling plan.