What's new

My Foscam R2 constantly request for DHCP lease from my RT-AC86U router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

liukuohao

Regular Contributor
Hi all to Tech gurus,

I would like someone to assist me in this area of expertise.

My Foscam R2 IP camera is kind of behaving very strangely after I upgraded its firmware to the latest.
I regretted of doing the upgrade since there is no way I could downgrade back the firmware now. :confused:

I have already configured the RT-AC86U router to assign a fixed IP address to the Foscam IP camera.
It is IP is 192.168.88.239. I can reach the IP camera web GUI without a problem.
I have blocked the internet access from the IP camera.
The IP camera is configured to get its IP automatically from the router's DHCP server.
But it constantly sending DHCP requests NON-STOP to my router.

Do you think my camera has been hacked?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 2022-11-01_15-43-18.jpg
    2022-11-01_15-43-18.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 2022-11-01_16-02-04.jpg
    2022-11-01_16-02-04.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 2022-11-01_16-04-47.jpg
    2022-11-01_16-04-47.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 55
This same thing was happening to one IoT device I was testing connected to the same model AC86U router with DNS-over-TLS set in WAN. Once the DoT was disabled the constant reconnects with DHCP requests disappeared. Firmware Asuswrt 386_48260.

This same thing was happening to one IoT device I was testing connected to the same model AC86U router with DNS-over-TLS set in WAN. Once the DoT was disabled the constant reconnects with DHCP requests disappeared. Firmware Asuswrt 386_48260.
I have 4 cameras in my network, 3 Foscam & 1 Imou.
It is only 1 Foscam camera is behaving this way.
Others don't. Not sure really if the router is to be blamed
My firmware is Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7_2
I don't use DNS-over-TLS (DoT) feature.

It's not exactly doing it non-stop, it's doing once every 10 minutes. If you re-enable internet access for that device does it stop doing it? This behaviour is quite normal for some devices (e.g. mobile phones) if they can't reach the internet. They assume there's some problem with their connection and reinitialise it.

It's not exactly doing it non-stop, it's doing once every 10 minutes. If you re-enable internet access for that device does it stop doing it? This behaviour is quite normal for some devices (e.g. mobile phones) if they can't reach the internet. They assume there's some problem with their connection and reinitialise it.
If I enable internet access, I am still seeing: DHCPREQUEST & DHCPACK

Why don't you just assert the IP address you want into the R2 and see if the traffic stops.

That's what I do with all my Foscams--give them each their own fixed IP. I also assert a different Port number and have port forwarding set-up in my own AC86U so that I can see the cams from my phone (anywhere).

Why don't you just assert the IP address you want into the R2 and see if the traffic stops.

That's what I do with all my Foscams--give them each their own fixed IP. I also assert a different Port number and have port forwarding set-up in my own AC86U so that I can see the cams from my phone (anywhere).
Thank you. I gave a static IP address to my IP camera. Result: No more DHCP requests logged.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!