What's new

My home router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tarassippo

Regular Contributor
I have a pretty basic setup, that is modem <--> opnsene appliance <--> access point and it works just fine.

My Internet is 80/20 and my opnsense box's got three ports: one connected to the modem, one connected to the AP and the third one to the PS4.
My local LAN is on 192.168.0.1/24 while the PS4 is on a different subnet, 192.168.10.1/24

The issue is my son complaining about his laggy ps4 and was wondering if there is anything at all I can do to improve my setup.

Tia.

May be the box you are using for a router. May be OPNsense. I have read that some firewall software does not use all processor cores and thus is not handling thruput well. You may want to give IPFire a try as reviews for it are favorable.

Have your son test the PS4 by directly connecting it to the modem. This will require rebooting both pieces of equipment to the PS4 pulls a public IP. If that improves things it points to the router being the bottle neck.

May be the box you are using for a router. May be OPNsense. I have read that some firewall software does not use all processor cores and thus is not handling thruput well. You may want to give IPFire a try as reviews for it are favorable.

I would first have a look at CPU consumption in OPNsense. To my knowledge 80/20 mbit should not be any issue whatsoever providing it runs on decent hardware. So my 2nd question: what are the specs you are running OPNsense on?

I would first have a look at CPU consumption in OPNsense. To my knowledge 80/20 mbit should not be any issue whatsoever providing it runs on decent hardware. So my 2nd question: what are the specs you are running OPNsense on?
The appliance is a PC Engines APU2E4 e the CPU consumption is pretty low

Did you hook up your PS4 directly to the modem, as @CaptainSTX proposed?

Just for my interest, why 2 different subnets for such a setup?

I remember that my brother, also an intense PS4 online gamer, wanted me to check out his connection because he couldn't get NAT type 1 and thus was apparently missing out on some possible servers to play on. He was on a double NAT ISP HGW and own Linksys router. I proposed to turn the Linksys into an AP to get rid of the double NAT but he didn't like the idea. What i did instead is create a DMZ for his PS4 in both routers. That did the trick.

What NAT type is your sons PS4 running on? Seems PS4 online gamers are obsessed with that NAT type rating :)

Last edited:
Did you hook up your PS4 directly to the modem, as @CaptainSTX proposed?
Nope, I can't as that's a modem and not a router :cool:

Just for my interest, why 2 different subnets for such a setup?
On my main LAN I also use an IPS (Suricata), hence that would affect the PS4 performance...

What NAT type is your sons PS4 running on? Seems PS4 online gamers are obsessed with that NAT type rating :)
Type 2, which is fine, he can play every game he wants... also, I'm not a fan of NAT type 1 (or open NAT) as I don't like the idea to expose my device to the Internet...

Last edited: