What's new

My R7800 couldn't cope :(

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LeKeiser

Hello everyone,

One of my NAS sent me a warning. One of my disk seemed to fail. I have 5 terabytes of data on a RAID0 partition. The NAS is connected with a cat5e cable to a gigabyte switch.
I had a spare NAS with 2 disks ready. So I configured that one on my LAN, and started to copy the files from NAS1 to NAS2. I copied the data from NAS1 to an external USB disk. Then I connected that disk to NAS2 and launched the copy. But something weird happened : not all the files were copied. I tried to manually copy them, but there was always an error. So I used my laptop connected through WiFi. I launched an application to compare what's on NAS1 and what's missing on NAS2. And with the result of that comparison, I launched another copy of the data from NAS1 to NAS2 directly on the network.
But the R7800 started to warm up quite a bit (CPU went up to 60°) and the WiFi temperature followed the same path, 62°. And all my network went down. I couldn't surf from the laptop I used to launch the copy. I thought it was because my laptop is pretty old (Pentium 2020m) but that's not the case. The R7800 was struggling to stay alive but all the devices on my network started to lose their connection. My Linux server with my DNS wasn't pingable anymore.

I stopped the copy, but the R7800 wasn't fully accessible. I had to reboot it.
I turned on my desktop, connected though cable, and launched the copy from there. And everything went fine. The R7800 was able to handle it. All my devices were accessible and working as intended.

So the lesson I have learned is : don't use the WiFi when you want to copy a mass load of files, or the R7800 will go down :(
I thought the R7800 could handle better the WiFi part. Guess not :(

Thank you for this testimony. Good to know!

Hope all is well for your data.

I make regular backups from my desktop machine to a laptop over wlan. Lots of small files but all is OK. Do you use an IPTV (I mean settop box/es connected to the router). Make a deliberate backup operation and try to monitor the CPU usage.

My files were pretty big I would say. I was transfering movies, most of them over 1GB. Last transfer was more than 100GB from one NAS to another, the copy was initiated from my laptop connected through Wifi. Both NAS are cable connected to a gigabyte switch.
As I said, the WiFi of the R7800 was quite hot, more than 62°C and so was the CPU or our router. Meaning that it was fighting to handle those transfers. I couldn't surf anymore, I couldn't even log on my Linux server (Raspberry 4 on a WiFi access). Once I canceled the transfer and rebooted the R7800, everything was back to normal.
I initiated the same copy from my desktop computer, ethernet 5e cable connected to the gigabyte switch, and everything was working well. The R7800 never faltered.
So I really do think that the weight of the files I was copying using my laptop (and the WiFi) was too much for the R7800.

Perhaps your setup would benefit from a laptop cooler placed under the R7800 to keep it cool.
When I did so for mine years ago the internal temperatures dropped 10 degrees or more. I've never had a heat issue since.
Although not quite the same as your project - my R7800 regularly supports at least 4 WiFi streams of movies/TV simultaneously.

My files were pretty big I would say. I was transfering movies, most of them over 1GB. Last transfer was more than 100GB from one NAS to another, the copy was initiated from my laptop connected through Wifi. Both NAS are cable connected to a gigabyte switch.
As I said, the WiFi of the R7800 was quite hot, more than 62°C and so was the CPU or our router. Meaning that it was fighting to handle those transfers. I couldn't surf anymore, I couldn't even log on my Linux server (Raspberry 4 on a WiFi access). Once I canceled the transfer and rebooted the R7800, everything was back to normal.
I initiated the same copy from my desktop computer, ethernet 5e cable connected to the gigabyte switch, and everything was working well. The R7800 never faltered.
So I really do think that the weight of the files I was copying using my laptop (and the WiFi) was too much for the R7800.
When I bought the router one of the first things I tried was the wi-fi. I checked the wi-fi performance by transferring different really huge game archive files 50-200 GB each. The speed was exceptional and you can see it here. Never experienced glitches except for the case with IGMP proxy and my IPTV service and high CPU usage and high temperatures before I sort it out. Look here, my symptoms then were much like yours.

Last edited:
Perhaps your setup would benefit from a laptop cooler placed under the R7800 to keep it cool.
When I did so for mine years ago the internal temperatures dropped 10 degrees or more. I've never had a heat issue since.
Although not quite the same as your project - my R7800 regularly supports at least 4 WiFi streams of movies/TV simultaneously.
Oh I have a cooler placed under my router. I turned it on when I saw the temps. I lost only 4 or 5°. My room temp is 24-25° already :(
I think the copy of big files over the WiFi is really a problem for our 7800. I can't think of anything else that would have cause this problem. As I said, I stopped the tranfer and rebooted the router and everything was back to normal.

When I bought the router one of the first things I tried was the wi-fi. I checked the wi-fi performance by transferring different really huge game archive files 50-200 GB each. The speed was exceptional and you can see it here. Never experienced glitches except for the case with IGMP proxy and my IPTV service and high CPU usage and high temperatures before I sort it out. Look here, my symptoms then were much like yours.
Thing is, the problem I had was a bit special.
See, I initiated the copy from my laptop connected to the router through WiFi, and the copy was between 2 NAS with cable interface. So I think the files were coming from NAS_1 to the router, then to my laptop through WiFi then back again to the router and then to the NAS_2. If I had turned off my laptop or lost the wifi then the transfer would have failed. I copied about 150GB data, files between 500MB and 4GB.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!