What's new

Solved My RT-AC 88u bricked after upgrading 386.5_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pattiri

Hello Guys,

I'm trying to recover my router for hours. I've tried many times with firmware restoration tool and mini CFE server but it fails. I've tried Asus firmwares, Merlin firmwares all failed during transfer around 70%-80%. Only firmware worked was dd-wrt and now I can’t come back to Merlin. If I upload merlin firmware via web interface of dd-wrt, router boots with dd-wrt again . Firmware restoration still cancels itself around %80 and doesn’t work.

As I've investigated the forum it seems I need a firmware that is smaller than 32 MB but AC-88u doesn't have I guess or I couldn't find.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

I've written all of these and about to post but as one last try I've uploaded Openwrt firmware to my router via firmware restoration tool and uploaded 386.5_2 via it's web GUI and now I have the happy ending. I'll post this thread anyway if this helps someone.

Now all I need to upload my config file and JFFS backup, thank god I've backed up them just before the update :)

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Hello Guys,

I'm trying to recover my router for hours. I've tried many times with firmware restoration tool and mini CFE server but it fails. I've tried Asus firmwares, Merlin firmwares all failed during transfer around 70%-80%. Only firmware worked was dd-wrt and now I can come back to Merlin. If I upload merlin firmware via web interface of dd-wrt, router boots with dd-wrt again . Firmware restoration still cancels itself around %80 and don't work.

As I've investigated the forum it seems I need a firmware that is smaller than 32 MB but AC-88u doesn't have I guess or I couldn't find.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

I've written all of these and about to post but as one last try I've uploaded Openwrt firmware to my router via firmware restoration tool and uploaded 386.5_2 via it's web GUI and now I have the happy ending. I'll post this thread anyway if this helps someone.

Now all I need to upload my config file and JFFS backup, thank god I've backed up them just before the update :)

Thanks guys
What caused this to begin with? On my AC88U, I get this error when attempting through the web interface to move from 386.5 to 386.5_2 so I cannot upgrade:

Invalid Firmware Upload
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware.

Last edited:
What caused this to begin with? On my AC88U, I get this error when attempting through the web interface to move from 386.5 to 386.5_2 so I cannot upgrade:

Invalid Firmware Upload
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware.
Please ignore.

I unmounted USB drive, rebooted and then the upgrade succeeded without warning or error through the web interface.

Please ignore.

I unmounted USB drive, rebooted and then the upgrade succeeded without warning or error through the web interface.

I am also getting the “Invalid firmware upload” message when trying to use the web interface to move my AC88U from 386.3_2 to 386.5_2. I have tried several reboots and unmounting USB drive, but that does seem to help in my case.

FWIW, I also have the AC88U and forgot to unmount the USB but the upgrade from 386.5 to 386.5_2 went fine. I got the typical ARP Cache warnings from ESET, which disappeared after rebooting the router and all devices.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!