What's new

My Seagate NAS server Blackarmor 220 is not booting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Emil Hammershoej

New Around Here
So I repurchased a used NAS Blackarmor 220 and I booted it up at home. It worked fine and I was able to connect to it using the IP address, but I noticed that there were some files on it from the previous owner. So I took both the HDD drives out of the NAS and cleared them using the command prompt function "diskpart". I then located the disks again using the diskmanager and put them back into the NAS server. Now it won't boot and the system status LED on the front panel of the NAS just keeps blinking. It does not get an IP address either (wich I think is because it is not booted) so I can't connect to it.
I'm a little concerned that I might have deleted some software files or other important files but my biggest guess is that I formatted the disk incorrectly.

Please help.
In advance thank you

But to do this I need to be able to connect to the NAS's IP. The NAS never gets addressed an IP and is not showing up in my router. From the back of the router on the ethernet port, it looks like it is connected properly because both the green and orange light are active.

But to do this I need to be able to connect to the NAS's IP. The NAS never gets addressed an IP and is not showing up in my router. From the back of the router on the ethernet port, it looks like it is connected properly because both the green and orange light are active.
You use the utility to discover what hard-coded IP address it is using. This won't show up in your router as it is not using DHCP.

Download and run the BlackArmor Thin Discovery Client that I pointed you to. If that doesn't detect your NAS then I don't know what else to suggest.

Download and run the BlackArmor Thin Discovery Client that I pointed you to. If that doesn't detect your NAS then I don't know what else to suggest.
My suggestion as a follow-up would be to connect directly between the Nas and your PC if what Colin suggested does not include that step.

Find out what default IP range the Nas will use and set one within the same subnet manually on your PC.

Ok so I tried everything you suggested but the NAS's system LED just Keeps blinking blue and is not showing up in the black armor discovery. The manual says it can mean two things either it is starting up (which it has been doing for 10 houers) or RIAD is rebuilding.

How Long can it take to rebuild RAID?

I think I got It working. I just kept cleaning the Drives and waited a stupid amount of time and it eventually started up. I know it is a kind of weird fix and for anyone else with a similar problem I'm sorry if this isn't much help.

But thank you very much Dosborne and Colin you have been a great help. It is a very good community with nice and helpful people.
thank you.

Depending on how powerful the NAS' CPUs are, and how large the HDDs are, several days may be needed to rebuild a RAID array.

It takes a full 24 hours to perform a raid "scrub" on my 50tb Nas, so rebuilds can easily take many hours or days. As L&LD pointed out it is greatly dependant on the Nas CPU, HDD speeds and of course the system priority of the running function, as well any any other activity running while maintenance is in progress.

If there is a next time, you may want to simply reformat the partitions from within the Nas GUI instead of completely removing them through 3rd party options. :)

Thank you.
That makes sence because it is a rather old nas with old hard drives.
If there is a next time, you may want to simply reformat the partitions from within the Nas GUI instead of completely removing them through 3rd party options. :)
I'll keep that in mind for next time