What's new

Mysterious issue (Xbox One X with Asus RT-AC68U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Andris

New Around Here
Hi,

I know it's a long shot, but maybe someone have a clue - i'm using latest Merlin FW and have problems with download speeds in Xbox One X (also with Xbox One).

I have 100Mbps line, but on my wifi(5Ghz) connected xbox I was getting download speed capped to exactly 1.47Mbps for weeks. Speedtest.net and xbox built in speed test shows >90Mbps speeds. But downloads just couldn't go faster.

Now - I tried connecting xbox with cable to modem directly and download speeds was ~90Mbps, right away I put again RT-AC68U in between xbox and modem(cable connection), and speed went down to 40Mbps. I then reconnected to wifi and download speed is now something around 15-40Mbps.

What could be the cause of this?
Why speed was capped to 1.47Mbps until I connected xbox directly to modem.
Why I'm not getting 90Mbps download speeds through RT-AC68U.
Why speed issue only concerns real downloads, instead of speed tests.
Could that be MTU issue?

PS: QoS was disabled all the time.

Thanx.

I know the feeling, I had the similar issues with the same router (RT-AC68U). My speeds at the time were 150/5 mbps and I was also using Adaptive QOS with FreshJR script. I quickly realized that the router's CPU isn't powerful enough to handle all the workload. I updgraded and my wifi speeds improved dramatically. Have you tried running FreshJr script?

I just ditch QoS, in concept it seems like it is great for your network, but in practicality, it won't do much, and in most cases just limits your bandwidth. QoS is intended fairness in mind. Try not using it for a while.

So I once again tried to connect xbox to asus directly(via cable) and got same old low (max:1.4Mbps) download speeds, but >90Mbps speed test results from xbox.

Tried same on stock Asus firmware, but got same results. Nonsense. I also noticed that Merlin firmware always shows asus CPU temperature is ~75-77`C also on without any traffic - is it normal? Could that be slowing down downloads, because of overheating?