What's new

NAS External Access through openVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nosfaay

New Around Here
Hello,

I've just bought a RT-AC86U router, and I can't acces to my NAS (Synology DS418play) from external after enabling OpenVPN client.

My port redirection are OK I think because without openVPN or if I use a VPN Redirect rule, I can connect.

On my NAS, DDNS get the right IP. (it changes when vpn is connected)

I've tried disable NAS firewall too.

I'm a bit beginner with these configuration, any help is welcome :)

Are you talking about an OpenVPN client running on the router or the NAS?

If it's the router then you said it actually works "without openVPN or if I use a VPN Redirect rule". Obviously if you're routing all the NAS traffic through the VPN client it won't work as you would need your VPN provider to be forwarding ports for you.

Hello,

I've just bought a RT-AC86U router, and I can't acces to my NAS (Synology DS418play) from external after enabling OpenVPN client.

My port redirection are OK I think because without openVPN or if I use a VPN Redirect rule, I can connect.

On my NAS, DDNS get the right IP. (it changes when vpn is connected)

I've tried disable NAS firewall too.

I'm a bit beginner with these configuration, any help is welcome :)
I'm doing exactly what you're trying to do.

Check this setting on your OpenVPN server on the router:

1637944584507.png

I'm running openVPN client on my router to get privacy for all my local devices. I don't use OpenVPN Server.

Before I get this router, I was using OpenVPN client only on my NAS, and I still could access it externaly with ddns.

IOW, as you described the problem in your original post, everything is working exactly as expected.

Before I get this router, I was using OpenVPN client only on my NAS, and I still could access it externaly with ddns.
That's because your NAS was using split tunnelling. Running the VPN client on the router means that's no longer the case. So you either need to exclude the NAS's traffic from the VPN or use a script to selectively route specific ports.

Ok thanks, so if I understand well, I can get what I want by adding a VPN director to wan for my NAS, then use openvpn client on it with split tunneling, am I right ?

Ok thanks, so if I understand well, I can get what I want by adding a VPN director to wan for my NAS, then use openvpn client on it with split tunneling, am I right ?
So on the router you exclude the NAS from going its VPN client, while on the NAS you go back to what you had before with a VPN client running there. That sounds like it should work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!