What's new

NAS for copying/scanning company

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

satod001

New Around Here
I handle the tech setup for a small copying company. Over the past year, we've moved dramatically from copying to scanning as many of our clients are going paperless.

Over the past year, we've pressed a Vista workstation into the role of a peer-to-peer file server, but we simply need to move forward for many reasons I won't go into here.

I would like a NAS appliance to replace this Vista box and to serve as the central repository for 5 workgroup scanners. Typically, we are scanning documents continually throughout the day - thus we have a steady stream of relatively small files that need to be written to the NAS. I'm thinking I'll need at least 1GB of storage in RAID 1 for immediate data redundancy in case of disk failure (even hourly backups don't offer protection as we are creating new data by the minute). Also essential is FTP as 2 of our scanners upload via FTP. In our environment, we don't hold on to the data for very long - after we scan, we burn or copy off the data and return them to the clients. This is why I don't need a continually growing amount of storage.

Our network infrastructure is very old 10/100 Ethernet. I realize that my network will be our performance bottle neck until we can upgrade. I want to change everything (switch, NICs, cabling) to support GigEthernet down the road, but hey, one thing at a time (NAS first).

I'm currently looking at the Buffalo TeraStation line, and the Netgear ReadyNAS line. But like so many others, I'm frozen by the many choices out there. I have about $1000 budget.

I'm I missing any considerations given my needs? Any suggestions or recommendations to help narrow my choices?

Thanks!!!!!

You mean 1 TB of storage? There are plenty of fine dual-bay NASes for way under $1000. With the $ left over you could buy that Gigabit Ethernet switch, which I'd definitely recommend. I also recommend you put the NAS on a UPS.

The Buffalo's are good value for the money. Downside is you can't replace / upgrade drives easily. The ReadyNAS Duo is also fine, but a bit pricey and you'll have to futz with it a bit (the manual describes how) to support RAID 1.

You mean 1 TB of storage? There are plenty of fine dual-bay NASes for way under $1000. With the $ left over you could buy that Gigabit Ethernet switch, which I'd definitely recommend. I also recommend you put the NAS on a UPS.

The Buffalo's are good value for the money. Downside is you can't replace / upgrade drives easily. The ReadyNAS Duo is also fine, but a bit pricey and you'll have to futz with it a bit (the manual describes how) to support RAID 1.

Does the OP need RAID 1 or will the Duo's XRAID work just fine? I don't see where he mentioned the need for multiple volumes??

Also consider how you will backup the NAS. I recommend local backup to one or more USB disks (rotate and take off site is even better) and optionally consider off site backup such as the expensive Readynas Vault product included with the Duo or something like Jungledisk. Jungledisk is working on a Readynas plugin, but no word when it will be available.

Thanks for the comments...yes I meant 1TB of course. I like the performance specs and price on the TeraStation Duo as RAID 1 write speeds are very important to me.

I know this is the NAS forum, but regarding your suggestion on adding a gigabit switch....I really need a 24 port model. I don't think I need a smart or managed switch because I don't see a need for a VLAN. I saw your round up of unmanaged switches, but they were all 8 port models. Any advice for a 24 port version?

For unmanaged switches, you can buy on brand preference, price and warranty. I think the NETGEARs ProSafes have lifetime warranty, which might be worth the extra price since Gigabit switches run hot.

Also consider two 16 porters if the price works out right.