What's new

NAS for virtualization and full-stack web development/ test environment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blacgren

New Around Here
Qnap nas selector no longer exist like it did years ago and Synology nas selector is some limited in my opinion.

Upgrade memory is a necessity and the possibility to use third party brand memory sticks like crucial and pny is important.
Qnap and Synology memory are just outrageously expensive!!

Inexperience full-stack web developer and recent graduate trying to practice @ home while waiting to get a job.
Any recommendation would be appreciated.

I never buy 'branded' RAM or upgrade via the manufacturer's website. Buy a good brand, match the specs, you'll be good.

I have 16gb of Kingston HyperX ram running in my qnap ts-563 which originally had 2gb.

HyperX has served me well too.

I have 16gb of Kingston HyperX ram running in my qnap ts-563 which originally had 2gb.
I notice alot from internet search persons refering to using third-party rams with qnap as opposed to synology or others.
Would you recommend qnap by any chance?

when I was increasing memory in my NAS I just was looking google my NAS and check what RAM modules people were using. I bought advised RAM and it is working.

Would you recommend qnap by any chance?
I suppose. Qnap and Synology both have areas where they are weak IMO and have areas they are good at too. But, *for my usage* , qnap has served me well over the last few years running 24/7. I prefer the flexibly of having root access to my 10+ year old D-Link nas which also runs 24/7 still, though it is undersized and under powered now, so is essentially for document storage only.

Carefully look at what you realistically expect to get out of a Nas and see which brand fills those needs best.

Similar to routers, I see too many people trying to overload their devices with tasks they were not truly designed to handle and are then disappointed.

The challenge with QNAP and their promises for VM/Containers...

1) they are time late
2) leads those that drink the kookaid

QNAP is fine as a NAS box