What's new

NAS Help Required

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Before you go in the direction of Rpi consider repurposing an older PC with TrueNAS. I found it a far more satisfactory solution all around.

I was sorely tempted by those $190 14TB drives. They are though 7200rpm drives derated to 5400 speed.

However your question was how to make it secure. If you just want to make use of the drive LOCALLY, disable ftp etc. Also if I recall correctly you can set permissions level per user on the same page. Read only, read write, and maybe even block certain users (don't recall).

Yeah, my bad with my post above. Too excited on my end and got ahead of myself :)

The reason I stated that I am using AD was for the security side of things. A little overkill, I admit, but some of the extended family that use my NAS for backing up data wanted the ability to change the NAS password at will. At least with the AD setup, with Win10 Home or Pro, they can change the NAS password from the Alt-Ctrl_Del -> Change Password screen. Setting permissions also becomes easier with the AD setup as all can be done through ACL from windows.

It was also a fun project to learn. Please let us know what way you went.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!