What's new

Nas recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vexira

Part of the Furniture
I currently have a wd my cloud but the remote access required me to port trigger to redirect the default ports form 80 and 443 in order for it to work.

I just wanted to ask what would be a good alternative Nas that has a remote access app that works on Merlin without any issues.

QNAP all the way. :)

Great hardware, great OS, great reliability, and long support too.

Built my own - freenas. Works fine on the home network. Addons are beyond tricky to install (some are utterly worthless), but the core use, as a NAS, is fine.

+1 for FreeNAS.

Built my own - freenas. Works fine on the home network. Addons are beyond tricky to install (some are utterly worthless), but the core use, as a NAS, is fine.
it's not too bad, install a vanilla jail and use freebsd's portsnap :)

Synology but get one you can add RAM.
If you do get a NAS or build one make sure you get CMR drives. Seagate Ironwolf drives are CMR but WD is selling some Red drives that are SMR. SMR drives will have issues with some file systems such as ZFS.

synology for the software implementation, qnap for the hardware options, "roll your own" for the full design and admin experience. Recycling old hardware can work, but a more purpose designed box can be more energy efficient and less noisy than a PC or old server chassis.

Pick a budget, define your hard needs and your optional, nice to have, needs and go from there.

So with qnap and Synology do the have an app for backing up phones or remote access to files by any chance?

@Vexira, even if they do, just use an OpenVPN Server on the router to connect to your network (and the NAS) instead. :)

So with qnap and Synology do the have an app for backing up phones or remote access to files by any chance?

I don't use those often, but they are there. The features of one I have.
Their Android app (they also have iOS but I don't Apple)

@Vexira, even if they do, just use an OpenVPN Server on the router to connect to your network (and the NAS) instead. :)
I look into that since I've been looking into a VPN especially for connecting back to my home network.

I don't use those often, but they are there. The features of one I have.
Their Android app (they also have iOS but I don't Apple)
Looks good thank you I'll add it to my research list