What's new

Need advice on how I should set up my new mesh system

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mormaii2

New Around Here
Ok so let's start off by saying I think I messed up.

The ISP technician installed the ONT on my office (upper level in the house tucked away in the corner of the room). It didn't give great WiFi coverage across the house (2 stories, concrete walls, 3300 sq ft).

I bought an Archer AX50 and set my ONT with bridge mode to use this as my main router. It expanded coverage quite a bit but there were some dead spots on the house (particularly on the bottom floor/garden).
I thought it would be a great idea to purchase a WiFi mesh system since I've heard pretty good things about them. I got an Asus Zenwifi AC CT8 (2 units).

Now my question is: Ideally I'd like to have them expand the WiFi signal as much as possible. Should I wire one of them up to the Archer and set up an AiMesh system? Should I set them up in Repeater mode?

I tried to set them up in Repeater mode but the issue I saw yesterday was that they can only repeat one type of signal or maybe I didn't understand the menu correctly. (I have two SSIDs to split 2.4 and 5 as I've read that having smart connect will cause smart device problems)

Right now it's not possible for me to wire any of the nodes except the main router which is on my office. I can set up one of the Asus nodes wired to the Archer AX50 but I can't wire the other node.

I know I messed up and that should have bought either a good router OR a mesh system but I got both :(
Any advice to this beginner will be highly appreciated!

FYI, the "How to" label is only for those users offering a How To guide, NOT general questions.

(makes me wonder if the System Admin should perhaps change that label to "Tutorial" to eliminate the confusion)

Last edited:
Oh my I'm so sorry! I thought "How To" was "How To do X". I've now removed the label, sorry about that

I would suggest you start with one of the CT8's and set it to repeater mode, linked to the AX50 5 GHz radio. Start by setting it up midway between the router and the area where you want to improve coverage and adjust if needed from there.

Oh my I'm so sorry! I thought "How To" was "How To do X". I've now removed the label, sorry about that

Not a big deal, I see this frequently w/ new users. As I said, I think it would be better if that label was changed to Tutorial. I think it would cause less confusion.

I would suggest you start with one of the CT8's and set it to repeater mode, linked to the AX50 5 GHz radio. Start by setting it up midway between the router and the area where you want to improve coverage and adjust if needed from there.

Can the CT8 only repeat one frequency? I tried looking around the internet but couldn't find a definitive answer to this. What should I do with the other CT8? I bought two of them :(

A repeater connects to an SSID and usually the same channel of the base AP. Some dual-band repeaters are smart enough to dynamically connect to the 2.4 or 5 GHz channel of the base AP. But both bands would have to use the same SSID.

Clients connecting to the repeater can connect to either band.
Awesome! I've set up on my AC CT8 and the WiFi downstairs is AMAZING! I'm thinking of adding the second one on the top floor to get better coverage as the Archer AX50 doesn't cover every spot upstairs. Should I also set up the next one in repeater mode?

I have a dumb question but should I be turning off 2.4 GHz from the Archer AX50 ?

Here are what my Archer and Asus configurations look like:

Yes, the second node should be set up as a repeater. Keep in mind that if there is too much signal overlap between nodes, devices may stay "stuck" to the first AP they connect to when you move around the house.

If you don't want to use 2.4 GHz, then shut it off on all nodes.

Awesome! I'm thinking of plugging one of the AC CT8 to the Archer, disabling Archer's WiFi and have the CT8 set up in AP mode. The other CT8 which would be downstairs would remain in repeater mode as that one has been working great on the downstairs floor. Does that seem like a good idea ?

If you look at the screenshots on the CT8 configration at the wireless advanced setting there's something called "band". That's set up at 2.4 GHz but I have no idea what it does. I've looked at the user manual for the CT8 but couldn't find anything on it. What does it do?

I don't see the benefit of wasting the Archer's radio.

So what should I set these to? I don't understand what they are

Capture.PNG

Yes, the second node should be set up as a repeater. Keep in mind that if there is too much signal overlap between nodes, devices may stay "stuck" to the first AP they connect to when you move around the house.

If you don't want to use 2.4 GHz, then shut it off on all nodes.
You were right. I tried to set up the second node upstairs and the downstairs clients were stuck on the upstairs node giving worse internet than when I had only one node.

how can I solve this ? I don’t know what to do

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!