What's new

Need advice on new Aimesh routers and network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tahoemark

New Around Here
I currently have a tp-link c7 ac1750 as my primary in the equipment room and asus blue cave as an AP on main floor of house. Equipment room is in lousy location for wifi so mostly wifi is off blue cave. I have several dead or weak spots around house so was thinking of setting up an aimesh network and was thinking to get another bluecave and dump the tplink. I also was going to add a netgear unmanaged switch in the equipment room to handle extra ethernet cables. I can get the new primary in a better location which should help with wifi coverage. My goal is to have a simple network that works everywhere around the house. Obviously I could spend more for a router but I don't know why I need more speed. My internet speed is somewhere between 100 and 200 depending on time of day.

you can use AX56U as main router and AX55U as AiMesh Node - this would be cheap solution

if you want to use VPN, QoS etc main router will be AX86U

If you can make it I would suggest wire (LAN) connection between main router and Nodes - it will work with wi-fi too. It is not good that you already start to buying routers for your system and now asking questions. :( you can use asus blue cave as Nodes but I do not know this product and do not know if then have AiMesh v2

you do not need any additional switch etc - this post on forum is interesting too https://www.snbforums.com/threads/aimesh-use-lan-ports-on-node-for-other-devices.64047/

Last edited:
Thanks Adooni. I read somewhere that going to wifi 6 wasn't necessarily the best thing for wifi coverage? Also the reason for the switch is I need the extra ethernet ports. I'll take a look at threads you suggested. Also I was planning on having wired connection.

I propose AX routers for main not because of wi-fi 6 (to be honest I do not think I need 3-8k Gbit wi-fi speed if WAN is 1Gbit :)) but because of CPU for example https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/ASUS_RT-AX56U
4x1.5GHz and AC routers 2x1GHz (2x1.8GHz).
and AiMesh v2 is much better, stable etc therefore please check what your asus blue cave have.

4x1.5GHz and AC routers 2x1GHz (2x1.8GHz).

Clock speed and number of cores is not a performance measurement. AX56U's 4-core BCM6755 is actually slower than AC86U's 2-core BCM4906. Most router operations use single core only. AC86U will run circles around AX56U in VPN performance, for example. BCM4906 has hardware AES support.

tech9 I'm looking for solid wifi throughout my house would you suggest going with a pair of ac86U? The appeal to me of aimesh is that you can always add zenwifi to the system if you are still having problems with poor connections.

I agree therefore I suggest AX86U if VPN, QoS for higher speed will be used. AX56U is cheaper 1/3 than AC86U. AC routers would be absolute soon and no support.
AC86U are relatively cheap now 2 cost almost the same like 1 AX86U.

AC86U are very good did not recognized are so cheap now

I am moving soon to new location and I will go with UniFi solution - if you are not 100% sure you want to use Asus AiMesh I would suggest to look at it. From my experience I never had any challenge with it.

tech9 I'm looking for solid wifi throughout my house would you suggest going with a pair of ac86U?

No. It's 4 years old already and has build quality and overheating issues. It dies more often than others. Go for the newer AX86U.