What's new

Need Advice on QNAP vs Synology

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gorak

Occasional Visitor
I was on the hunt for a 2-bay SOHO NAS for quiet some time and when I almost zeroed in on Synology DS-713+, I suddenly noticed a bunch of new products released by QNAP recently in Amazon. The price difference between the products is not earth shattering by the way, so I'm now confused on which one to buy.

QNAP TS-253 Pro ($599)
QNAP TS-251 ($499)
Synology DS-713+ ($469)

Can someone help me choose between the above 3??? My requirements are the following:

1. Support for VLANs
2. VAAI support, though not mandatory
3. Support for flexible volume management
4. Excellent performance
5. Reliability is a must since I'll be using it on my production setup.

Have you tried the two vendors' on-line demos?

Generally, IMO, Synology is ahead of QNAP in operating software features and ease of use. But the gap closes.

I'm a happy Synology user of 2+ years (DS212) and made the same competitive product decision when I bought. I also like that in the US, California tech support answers the phone with competent people and tries to help, no matter the product age.

Perhaps the same happens with QNAP.

You're on the right trail here, rather than Netgear, Buffalo, WD, Seagate, LG, and most other mass marketed NASes, IMO.

So, Which one do you recommend from the above 3 if price is not a concern and ignoring the software features???

I was on the hunt for a 2-bay SOHO NAS for quiet some time and when I almost zeroed in on Synology DS-713+, I suddenly noticed a bunch of new products released by QNAP recently in Amazon. The price difference between the products is not earth shattering by the way, so I'm now confused on which one to buy.

QNAP TS-253 Pro ($599)
QNAP TS-251 ($499)
Synology DS-713+ ($469)

Can someone help me choose between the above 3??? My requirements are the following:

1. Support for VLANs
2. VAAI support, though not mandatory
3. Support for flexible volume management
4. Excellent performance
5. Reliability is a must since I'll be using it on my production setup.

looking at your requirements, I would guess that you are looking to support some VM's

QNAP TS253Pro with its quad core CPU and support of hosting VM's right on the SAN might turn out to be a killer feature for you.

looking at your requirements, I would guess that you are looking to support some VM's

QNAP TS253Pro with its quad core CPU and support of hosting VM's right on the SAN might turn out to be a killer feature for you.

Thanks. I finally zeroed in on the 253 pro.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!