What's new

Terra Master vs Synology vs Qnap vs Helios

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OllieNZ

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

I've recently embarked on upgrading my current NAS setup (D-Link 320L) with some new drives/latest firmware and found that there is a pretty major security issue with the device and D-Link seem to have pretty much dropped support for it and advise taking it offline. So after dropping the cash on some decent drives I now find myself in a position where I need to drop some more :(. Unfortunately my budget is a strict £150 (GBP) I'm currently running RAID 1 and primarily use the NAS for photo/document backup (manually done at the moment) and dlna media streaming to multiple devices (potentially 2-5 simultaneously) but currently no transcoding.
My short list so far.....
Terramaster F2-210 1.4ghz quad core RTD1296 64bit, 1gb RAM
Synology DS-218j 1.3ghz dual core Armada 385 32bit, 512mb RAM
Qnap TS-228a 1.4ghz quad core RTD1295 64bit, 1gb RAM
Helios4 1.6ghz dual core Armada 388 32bit, 2gb RAM

Terramaster - seems like good value for money on the hardware side with sufficient app support for my needs but is a bit of an unknown in terms of quality/security.
Synology- Budget end of a top brand, lacking in hardware spec compared to the others so how much of the price tag is the badge on the front?
Qnap- I've seen a fair number of reports of game breaking quality for this particular model so it's currently an outside option
Helios4- A little on the fence with including this one, good spec for the money, the only 4 bay on the list (not really a requirement). Not sure how limiting the 32bit processor would be in regards to app choice going forwards. Effectively DIY which is sort of within my skill set but my experience with linux is pretty limited.

IF! (and it's a big if) I can convince the boss (wife) to let me stretch the budget a little.....
Terramaster F2-220 2.4ghz dual core Celeron J1800 64bit 2gb RAM (expandable to 4gb)
Qnap TS-231p 1.7ghz dual core Alpine AL-212 32bit 1gb RAM

Again the Terramaster seems to be offering some serious bang for the buck but is the quality there? Qnap will offer the quality but again will it be limited by a 32bit cpu?

My choices are relatively limited by budget and I need to make sure what I buy will last.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!