What's new

Need Advise

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I didn't clarify; all the game and/or video devices, plus one terminal and a laptop use an 8-port GS108Tv2 managed switch into the 3200, the VoIP and host run directly into the AC3200 that then dumps into our wholly-owned modem, for the ISP to look at, ping etc. Depending on the volume of traffic a 24 port un-managed switch handles, I grasp there's a bottleneck if the switch has to cope with all of the traffic going in and out of the router.

The PfSense box I'm working-playing with has a 4-port Intel server NIC with a gigabit inbound port on the MB to the modem. When testing the box, with all the outbound video device traffic on the manged gigabit switch, I swap the AC3200 and AC56 in and out, testing as WiFi AP, and the remaining 2 NIC ports are for the host and VoIP. It's admittedly more than we need, but I still wish for 1-GB down. For now, it's fun to play with.

Last edited:
It depends on what you would use the extra 4 ports for
RMerlin, the four ports on the router go to computer 1, computer 4, tv system and the 5 port switch. The switch goes to computer 2, computer 3, printer and the router.

RMerlin, the four ports on the router go to computer 1, computer 4, tv system and the 5 port switch. The switch goes to computer 2, computer 3, printer and the router.
It doesn't look like you've got anything to worry about in terms of bottlenecks then. Might as well get the AC88U and keep the 5-port switch for something else.:)

Or get an 8 ports switch, and put everything on it. It's what I do, tho primarily it's so my whole network won't go down every time I flash a new firmware on my router. Also means fewer cables to swap when switching to a different router.

An 8 ports TP-Link switch should be quite cheap, and so far I've had no issue with those I've used.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!