What's new

Need assistance blocking specific domains

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Emi

New Around Here
I'm trying to block Apple from downloading/sending iOS updates to my iPhone.

I have an ASUS RT-AC68R and I blocked these domains in my firewall settings under "URL filter:

mesu.apple.com
appldnld.apple.com

1. Are there any other domains I should block to prevent future notifications/updates.
2. One of the instructions in the firewall settings mentions to use this format:
"enter "XXX" in the list The URL filter will block the http://www.abcXXX.com, http://www.XXXbbb.com and so on."

Does that mean I need to input the URL I want to block as
mesuXXX.apple.com

or

mesu.appleXXX.com

or even

mesuXXX.appleXXX.com

?

I'm not sure on this part.

Use Diversion to outright block domains with wildcard. Why are you trying to block iOS updates in the first place? Jail broken device and worrying it’ll get bricked?

I’m sure you know you can disable automatic iOS updates on the device itself. Why isn’t that sufficient?

Use Diversion to outright block domains with wildcard. Why are you trying to block iOS updates in the first place? Jail broken device and worrying it’ll get bricked?

I’m sure you know you can disable automatic iOS updates on the device itself. Why isn’t that sufficient?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by "Diversion" and "wildcard."

I believe blocking iOS updates on the phone doesn't stop them from downloading and having annoying reminders to update your phone. It's just a normal iPhone Xr, not jailbroken.

I don't trust Apple with their "slowing down the phone" as it gets older and forces updates on you. It's not for me and I want their phone to last longer than 2-3 years. I know updating will slow foen the phone overtime.

Emi, even if you found out how to block these updates within your own network. What about when you're out and about? What can/will you use to block it then?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by "Diversion" and "wildcard."

I believe blocking iOS updates on the phone doesn't stop them from downloading and having annoying reminders to update your phone. It's just a normal iPhone Xr, not jailbroken.

I don't trust Apple with their "slowing down the phone" as it gets older and forces updates on you. It's not for me and I want their phone to last longer than 2-3 years. I know updating will slow foen the phone overtime.

EMI over 2-3 years your iPhone battery wears out and stops producing as much electric current for the CPU to run at full speed. The operating system HAS to compensate for old battery by reducing CPU speed to reduce power consumption, otherwise the phone would just black-screen and restart. The only solution is to replace the battery and the performance should scale back up. It’s madness and pointless to go years without updating your phone. Abandon this idea, you’re wasting your time.

Emi, even if you found out how to block these updates within your own network. What about when you're out and about? What can/will you use to block it then?
I believe I set updates as non-automatic and on wifi only. It should work.

EMI over 2-3 years your iPhone battery wears out and stops producing as much electric current for the CPU to run at full speed. The operating system HAS to compensate for old battery by reducing CPU speed to reduce power consumption, otherwise the phone would just black-screen and restart. The only solution is to replace the battery and the performance should scale back up. It’s madness and pointless to go years without updating your phone. Abandon this idea, you’re wasting your time.

I've never had a phone "black-screen and restart" on me because it hasn't been updated. Updating the phone will stress more CPU usage on the device because of new features and other things, draining the battery more and, over the years, apps won't work as effectively as well. You can even watch youtube videos of someone testing new iOS updates on older iPhones and the same iphones on previous updates. (All the phones are used). The older phones with the older OS loads simple apps, such as the camera, faster because the new OS adds more stress to the phone.

Besides, if it isn't broken, why fix it? I've update apps in the past for "new features" or "better performance" when the opposite was true. The app ran slower, I didn't even care about the "new" features, and, quite frankly, it became "uglier" as well.

I do have a phobia for updating because things won't work or won't work as well or expected. It's happened on many occasions to me and others I know.

I believe I set updates as non-automatic and on wifi only. It should work.

I've never had a phone "black-screen and restart" on me because it hasn't been updated. Updating the phone will stress more CPU usage on the device because of new features and other things, draining the battery more and, over the years, apps won't work as effectively as well. You can even watch youtube videos of someone testing new iOS updates on older iPhones and the same iphones on previous updates. (All the phones are used). The older phones with the older OS loads simple apps, such as the camera, faster because the new OS adds more stress to the phone.

Besides, if it isn't broken, why fix it? I've update apps in the past for "new features" or "better performance" when the opposite was true. The app ran slower, I didn't even care about the "new" features, and, quite frankly, it became "uglier" as well.

I do have a phobia for updating because things won't work or won't work as well or expected. It's happened on many occasions to me and others I know.

I agree with many of your points. However, taken to the extreme, you are not only missing out on uglier programs but also on some very important security updates too.

Not only does this make your phone more susceptible to being hacked, but it also puts everything on your network at greater risk too.

Buying a phone/laptop/tablet/pc and wanting it to last as long as possible is one thing.

Buying something and then being stuck in the technological year of purchase to get a few more months out of it with ever increasing security risks is something else.

Nothing is made to last forever. Use it, abuse it, enjoy it and then replace it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!