What's new

Need buying advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Goros

New Around Here
Hi all.

My current setup is long in the tooth and I'm looking to upgrade.

Currently I have 2 WNDR-4500's, a v1 as router and wireless in one section of the house, and a v2 as WAP.
I have an old arris 6141 as cable modem on Spectrum (formerly time warner), and use VOIP (phonepower) with the IP for the phone box in the DMZ.

I dont have any issues with the wireless connectivity, but am looking to upgrade everything to more security as I update and add smart devices.

I have an Emby server, an ecobee 4, some smart lighting (Lutron Caseta switches), samsung smartthings hub, and will be adding more. I have an unmanaged switch and 4 wired PC's, a couple laptops, plus phones and various tablets.

For my modem, I've picked the Netgear CM600 to avoid the Puma6 issues, and to get something still getting security updates that Spectrum allows up here.
I've also purchased the Bitdefender Box2 with the intention to place it between the modem and router and to only use it as a firewall.

For the router, I was looking at a few options - the Asus GT or RT-AC5300, the AC86 or 88U, the AD7200, AC1900, OR going wired into the Unify Pro Security Gateway (looking into the idea of doing a mesh network).

It's a ton of options and I'm behind the times. I'm looking for stability, without compromised throughput and a decently secure platform. I don't torrent at all, but do play some PC and Xbox Live games. I'm open to the idea of flashing the firmware off the WNDR4500's and using something else (DD-WRT, Tomato, etc) in order to use them either as WAP's or just get rid of them for something more current. Typically I VPN via software (PIA) but am looking at WTFast or something similar for the router. I've avoided it because of slowdowns found on older routers like mine.

If you could build your perfect gigabit lan, what would you use for your router, knowing most of the security will be tacked by the BOX2?

I did some research and found out that the Bitdefender Box has issues playing nicely with Ubiquity products like the SG, SGP and Edgerouter 4 (among others).

I'm not looking at doing a mesh network anymore, but would like a decent setup with a router I can set to bridge, I'll set my WNDR4500's to WAP mode after doing a 30/30/30 on both to clear any bugs/issues.

Any thoughts on a decent wired or wireless router that performs well in bridge mode with decent throughput?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!