What's new

Need good range WiFi router!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Besson

New Around Here
Hello guys,

I need help choosing a router for my 2 floor house.

Problem is that one floor have almost 1 meter thick brick and concrete wall with bits of metal in it.

Need something to bypass that and deliver good performance!

My maximuminternet speed is only 10 mb/s so speed is not that important.

Thing that I need is great range and ability to plug in HDD and Printer.

Can afford more pricey routers, but of course would like to save if I don't get any extra bang for a buck.

Thank you for your help! :)

Router downstairs and wap upstairs, only need to run one Ethernet cable or do it over the houses ac power. In some of those old stone and brick homes you sometimes need to run the cable down to the basement then up to the other floors or use outdoor rated Ethernet cable, run outside, too room then inside or even up into attic and down.

Hello guys,

I need help choosing a router for my 2 floor house.

Problem is that one floor have almost 1 meter thick brick and concrete wall with bits of metal in it.

Need something to bypass that and deliver good performance!

My maximuminternet speed is only 10 mb/s so speed is not that important.

Thing that I need is great range and ability to plug in HDD and Printer.

Can afford more pricey routers, but of course would like to save if I don't get any extra bang for a buck.

Thank you for your help! :)
You'll likely need to add an Access Point (AP).
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...best-way-to-get-whole-house-wireless-coverage

I am pleased with the RT-N12 in AP mode that I use for improved coverage, mostly for handhelds.

Depending on the location of that wall, you'll likely want your router on one side of the house on one floor and an access point on the other side of your house on the other floor.

My house is not terribly disimilar. I have a masonry fireplace that is around 4ft thick cinderblock with 2-3" thick stone veneer on one side (drywall on the backside in the other room) dividing my house roughly 1/3rd 2/3rds on my main level. It is difficult to centrally place a router in my house, but the one attempt to do so lead to poor speeds in the room "behind" the fireplace and basically nothing in my garage. So I went with my router located in my basement office up high on a shelf at one end of the house and an access point just the other side of the fireplace in the room "behind" the fireplace. Covers the entire house with very good to excellent signal strength and speeds.

And what router, AP would you actually suggest?

Thinking that nighthawk 7000 might just do the job alone... Or I could get 2-3 cheaper asus n300 routers and try to create AP. But of course would like to avoid additional cables in home.

You mention speed is not that important, I'd look at an N150 cheap router and get two of them then, especially if you don't have competing 2.4GHz wireless networks in your area. That'll easily handle a 10Mbps internet connection anywhere in your home. Something like the Asus N12 or the TP-Link 841n.

If you have future needs for something faster, maybe look at an N600/900 router, like the TP-Link WDR3600 or Asus N66u

According to your request, I recommend to you Huawei E5186,It could support WiFi 2.4Ghz and Wi-Fi 5GHz, and enables up to 64 Wi-Fi devices to enter int o the mobile network at one time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!