What's new

Need help/advice fix old router get new one?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have been experiencing alot of lag and packet loss ,which after some research i diagnosed as being caused by excessive bufferbloat. I ended up downloading asuswrt Merlin. And using fq_codel.
It significantly reduced my bufferbloat from a D rating to a B. And helped with packet loss.

But has not fully solved the issue .
I have tried adaptive qos which gives me the highest bandwidth throughput
But still get some high bufferbloat.

And i have tried bandwidth limiter which gives me the best results most of the time but it halfs my total speed no matter what i set the limit to .

I have seen in other posts that people say to change their CC /congestion control.
But i have no such setting or its named something else and i don't realize it.

I have the ASUS RT-AC88U .
My question is ,is there anything i can do with the TCP/udp or other settings to fix this issue.

Or should i upgrade to a newer router
And which one . I am looking at the asus gt-ax11000 / the tp link ax11000 or nighthawk ax 11000. But im not sure which one if any will improve bufferbloat performanc.

I know they are all good wifi routers im not concerned with that . I want to know which one will preform best with a hardline link and give me the best and most consistent gaming experience.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/assistance.
You can switch to completed QoS methods, like for me combining a few different types such as sfq and a few others and create some complex priority + limit with bursts and so on for different things. The router i use however is complicated and the pros have scripts that auto generate rules, capable of using manycore CPUs to give good experiences to their users.
What is your internet speed?

Depending on your speed needs you might want to go to an Edge router lite ERL3 and configure smart queue on the WAN port. That solution solved my gaming issues.

Check this:
https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/best-gaming-router/

Enviado desde mi moto g(8) plus mediante Tapatalk
no, the ERL or even the edgerouter in general is a poor choice for QoS. Rmerlin's firmare does a better job in this regard. The edgerouter fails for pro use.

Some advices i can give you is not to be too bummed about results from ISP config. If you set your bandwidth limit lower than your speed test, your score will improve. Also ICMP is prioritised in a sense that it works by pinging while loading your connection, so if you prioritise ICMP, its a cheating way to get A or A+ scores. So an effective QoS system will keep important services at that level while others suffers and ICMP is actually an unimportant traffic in the general consensus.

I completely hear you. One might think it almost a market opportunity to come out with a product that was built on x86 hardware, had enterprise-capable feature set, including SQM, but with Asus/Netgear/TP-Link ease-of-use on the surface level (dead-simple web GUI, phone app, etc.). Guess it's much easier said than done, and/or the market volume / profitability just isn't there.

I have recently installed pfsense on an old Supermicro Xeon E5420 server and i am amazed with the performance. It easily matches my Mikrotik RB3011 and on top, it is very easy to do the initial setup. I am still contemplating if i will replace the Mikrotik with pfsense on a more modern supermicro server with a quad intel nic. I had an ERL3 before and whilst the Mikrotik isn't as easy to set up as a typical consumer router, i found the learning curve with the ERL3 way steeper as you do need CLI for certain settings such as hardware offloading and stuff.