What's new

need help/advice on home wireless network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

the_vinman

Occasional Visitor
well let me lay out what i have currently setup. Im on COX HSI in AZ, i have recently upgraded to the Premier Plus (28 mbps down). i have the new Mot 6120 docis 3.0 modem connect to a wrt600n. This setup is in a wiring closet in my basement. I have roughly 6 computers connecting wirelessly (2 using N rest using G, the 600n has 2 radios, i have one set to N one to G), + 3 other Tivos (using G adapters). There is a NAS unit, Tivo, and bluray/reciever in the wiring closet that are lan capable that are connected to the hub on the back of the wrt600n. (using WEP on all )

when i connect directly to the modem( hardline) i get good 24 mbps, when i connect to the hub on the 600n i get about the same 24 mps down. when i go to wireless from my main computer using N it goes from 20-21mps (this seems to vary over time, seems i have to reboot modem/router every few days to get back to this) and im only about 20 from the router but its thru some walls in basement( all the computers are in the basement 3 in my office, 3 in game room farther away, reception down there is weaker want to improve). other computers down hall (g ones seem to get about 7mbps down, the N one down the hall gets about 17mbps).

I think that about covers the mess :p so my ? is what can/should i do?
Looking to Maximize the performance here (ie i know doing hardline is best but not really practical due to cost of wiring, could maybe run some cat5 from my wiring closet to my office but would prefer not to as would mean cutting holes in my basement walls) so how do i get there, is there settings i can change? should i get newer router (or multiple ones ). anything can be done to improve "range" (ie to get the computers down the hall better connections). Is there anything can do to keep performance up over time so i dont have to keep bouncing everything.

Lots of ?s hoping the experts here have some answers. Thanks for any help

Happy New Year.

thx
Vinman

You need to separate your G and N clients onto separate radios. If all your N clients are dual-band capable, then make sure they connect to the 5 GHz radio. Make sure your G clients are connecting to the 2.4 GHz radio, which you should set to G only mode.

Note that the 5 GHz radio range will be less than the 2.4 GHz. This may mean you get low throughput. First try setting the 5 GHz radio to 20MHz channel width (or not Auto). You may need to get a second 2.4 GHz router / Access point for the N clients. See
Add, Don't Replace When Upgrading to 802.11n

I'd consider using Powerline networking to reach the computers down the hall. Look for 200 Mbps gear, HomePlug AV preferably. Look at the Cisco / Linksys Powerline stuff.

wep and N = wireless G speed

if you intend to continue using wireless N with anything but wpa2 aes then you're gonna be forced into wireless G speed, which at very best conditions has about same throughput as your ISP. using separate router for G and 2.4GHz(N) clients would work, just be sure to use wpa2 aes for 2.4GHz(N). computers that must have N performance can use 5GHz(N) possibly without having to get another router, still requiring wpa2 aes encryption if said clients support 5GHz(N). wireless N is a technical nightmare for everyone involved, Tim mentioned powerline networking which is good, also there is MoCA or ethernet over coax.

ok so even though this 600n has 2 radios, and i have one set to N and other to G your saying i shouldnt be doing that ? i should get separate AP for other then N and just use the N on wrt600n. Ill have to look at changing the security, havent tried that one before. Ill look at the powerline stuff, does that really do 200 mbps ? that might be better for down the hall, or maybe that might be better for all these computers since they could all then be "hard wired". is there any downside to this powerline stuff ? else i might switch most stuff to that and get away from wireless except for the laptops

thx, and let me know if there is anything else usefull

-Vince

The two radios operate on different frequency bands. You can't set both radios to operate in 2.4 GHz (or 5 GHz).

overdrive31's advice about using WPA2 security is also correct.

Powerline doesn't provide 200 Mbps. But the real throughput it delivers can be higher and more stable than even "300 Mbps" N. This article will give you an idea of pros and cons of streaming wireless vs powerline.

ya i have the 5ghz set to N and the 2.4 set to G on mine, ill look at changing the security settings to the wpa2. ya i guess that powerline wont cut it then from your article. mine is an older home and im sure there are plenty of "issues" where it would not work well. Do you know of any good/reasonable cat 5 installers around Gilbert AZ ? maybe ill just see about getting a few runs put in if i have to.

Also any ideas why the Speed seems to drop and i have to reboot modem/router every few days ? i test with various speed tests, after reboot, speed is 24 mbps down etc but over time it drops , like today just tested and its down around 6 ? ill reboot in awhile, it will be all fine for awhile but same thing will happen. is there some setting or change ? or is this equipment related?
thx
Vince

Last edited:
Actually, you may have better luck with powerline on older homes. Only newer homes have AFCI breakers, which kill throughput.

I don't have anyone I can recommend to run cable. Many electricians will pull / fish the cable for you if you're up for terminating it (not too hard).

Is the speed drop over wired or wireless connection? Could be your ISP or could be equipment. These situations usually don't have simple answers. You have to run experiments and do careful detective work. See
How To: Fixing Router Intermittent Connection Drops

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!