What's new

Need help diciding on which USB to RJ adaptor to get

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
We only have a Microsoft surface Pro (6 or 7 I can never remember) so I bought an adaptor because I have been having download issues lately and Colin mentioned that the best way to check the real speed is wired not wireless. Sooo I pulled out the $9.99 , shipping included, piece of crap that I bought and it clocked it at around 3 ,or there abouts when wirelessly I got 94ish . Now this was when I wasn't having the intermittent problem ( my plan is 100 GBS)but I would like to be prepared when the issue reacurs. Finally my question, what's a good one to buy? When I googled,, quality USB to RJ adaptor for sale,,a heap came up and just confused me . My budget is around$50/$70 aud . If that's not enough to get a decent one I'll pay whatever

The vast majority are the same, just different plastic housing. A lot use the same Realtek chip anyway, so just pick whichever is available and that's USB 3.x, unless you want something that supports USB-C connectors.

I have a Pluggable 2.5G for home use, and either a Startech or some other random brand which I carry in my bag when I go on service calls.

The vast majority are the same, just different plastic housing. A lot use the same Realtek chip anyway, so just pick whichever is available and that's USB 3.x, unless you want something that supports USB-C connectors.

I have a Pluggable 2.5G for home use, and either a Startech or some other random brand which I carry in my bag when I go on service calls.
I should've said HDMI to Ethernet thanks Eric I've googled some that state they can handle up to 1000 mbs and all under $100 au and most around $50/$70 au so I'll try a $50 $60 au one and see how it goes. That's what i get for being such an tightass I suppose,, you only get what you pay for eh ,,unless your in politics' then you pay 100 times the going rate and still get crap

Hopefully not. HDMI is a video protocol so you definitely don't want that. You want USB to Ethernet. Check what type of USB sockets your device has, i.e. USB type-A or USB-C.
lol sorry I was having a seniors moment yes it is usb to Ethernet . The strange thing is that my modem must have been having senior moment's as well,it hasn't played up since I spoke to you last. When you mentioned that speed drops are usually an isp issue i checked all the,well there's only two,coaxial cables and noticed that the end going into the modem was a little loose so I tightened it as much as i could by hand and although it did play up once or twice more it's been rock solid ever since so fingers crossed and thanks Colin I think you may have steered me in the right direction

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!