What's new

need help for adaptive qos settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crusher888

Regular Contributor
Hi everybody and merry xmas
I'm having some troubles with the adaptive qos: i got enabled the game priority with data transfer applications tab having the lowest priority. the config is very easy but it doesn't work at all. When i run utorrent on my pc together with a game , i get a very high latency ingame; interestingly a good latency is preserved when i download things with asus download master and i keep playing on my pc.
what's the correct troubleshooting for this?
I already double checked my download and upload speed and it's properly placed in the qos settings
thanks in advance for any help!

You need to have realistic expectations for QOS. It's fine for keeping a video stream stable, but if you were thinking of playing online multiplayer games while seeding a torrent to 50 people, that probably won't work so well.

well but with my old netgear wndr3700 I used to do exactly that.. well not to seed a torrent with 50 people but at least to download a couple torrents without having my gaming latency being afftected.. also the problem doesn't occur when i download things with download master but only when I run utorrent on my pc..

Hi everybody and merry xmas
I'm having some troubles with the adaptive qos: i got enabled the game priority with data transfer applications tab having the lowest priority. the config is very easy but it doesn't work at all. When i run utorrent on my pc together with a game , i get a very high latency ingame; interestingly a good latency is preserved when i download things with asus download master and i keep playing on my pc.
what's the correct troubleshooting for this?
I already double checked my download and upload speed and it's properly placed in the qos settings
thanks in advance for any help!

Think of this way: to avoid download/ingress bufferbloat (increased latency) your combined download speeds must never exceed your maximum limit. When they exceed your limit, your ISP must begin to buffer (introducing delay) the overflowing data and meter it to you at your purchased rate. So, you must lower the torrent traffic maximum to a low enough limit so that even when there are throughput spikes (they will exceed your specified limit for >100ms), the maximum spike will not exceed your internet connection's maximum. So, like ~65% of your internet connection's maximum.

Upload (egress) is similar, but the buffering most likely happens at your modem/router and is fully under your control with a much lower round-trip latency to your home devices. ~99-90% of your maximum works well here.

Low-latency gaming while torrenting is one of the hardest things to achieve with QoS/traffic-shaping. A much easier solution is to set maximum download speeds at the torrent client.

Think of this way: to avoid download/ingress bufferbloat (increased latency) your combined download speeds must never exceed your maximum limit. When they exceed your limit, your ISP must begin to buffer (introducing delay) the overflowing data and meter it to you at your purchased rate. So, you must lower the torrent traffic maximum to a low enough limit so that even when there are throughput spikes (they will exceed your specified limit for >100ms), the maximum spike will not exceed your internet connection's maximum. So, like ~65% of your internet connection's maximum.

Upload (egress) is similar, but the buffering most likely happens at your modem/router and is fully under your control with a much lower round-trip latency to your home devices. ~99-90% of your maximum works well here.

Low-latency gaming while torrenting is one of the hardest things to achieve with QoS/traffic-shaping. A much easier solution is to set maximum download speeds at the torrent client.

thanks for your full explanation, i have a question though, does it make a difference if i'm on wifi or not?
let me make an example
On my laptop from my router I usually get 25-30 mbps on wifi .. i mean as average transfer data in general.. now what happens if Im playing a game and at the same time downloading a torrent that is being downloaded around 20 mbps?
could it be my wifi speed the issue? ( i'm kind of far away from the router and it's an old N client )

thanks for your full explanation, i have a question though, does it make a difference if i'm on wifi or not?
let me make an example
On my laptop from my router I usually get 25-30 mbps on wifi .. i mean as average transfer data in general.. now what happens if Im playing a game and at the same time downloading a torrent that is being downloaded around 20 mbps?
could it be my wifi speed the issue? ( i'm kind of far away from the router and it's an old N client )

I dunno. If you saturate any connection, wired or wireless, bad things happen. When you refer to WiFi speed, was it measured with an internal (WLAN-to-LAN) speedtest like iperf, or was it tested with an external speedtest like speedtest.net?

I would be concerned about running a torrent client on the router as well. Such a vital piece of the network should not be overloaded with unnecessary things (in my opinion).

I dunno. If you saturate any connection, wired or wireless, bad things happen. When you refer to WiFi speed, was it measured with an internal (WLAN-to-LAN) speedtest like iperf, or was it tested with an external speedtest like speedtest.net?

I would be concerned about running a torrent client on the router as well. Such a vital piece of the network should not be overloaded with unnecessary things (in my opinion).

I think i might try to wire my laptop and do the same thing.. if latency doesn't get saturated then i get that the problem could be the wifi connection being saturated.. Do you think that the same buffery process that you explained concerning the ISP side would be the same concerning wireless/wired buffering when they are saturated?
I just noticed that lowering my torrent speed to the 60% of my maximum wifi throughput just solved mostly the bad latency ingame..

with wifi speed, i tested it with speedtest.net.. because wired I get 50 mbps while wifi from the position in which I am with my pc, i get around 30-35

Last edited: