What's new

Need help with AIMesh Node Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Blockheid

New Around Here
Hi Folks,

First post on SNBForum!

I have the ASUS AX-82U and added 2off ASUS AC-86C as AIMesh Nodes without much of a glitch!

I am a little confuse with the AIMesh Node firmware and was wondering if anyone was able to advise how this AIMesh node firmware can be updated or not (this router used to be the main router prior to the AX-82U). It quotes "This AiMesh node is not able to manually update its firmware, please click "Check" to do your firmware upgrade over online.". Then goes on to say that the router is on the current firmware.

However the firmware version numbers of the two AIMesh Node are not the same!

Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 18.55.02.png

Hi Folks,

First post on SNBForum!

I have the ASUS AX-82U and added 2off ASUS AC-86C as AIMesh Nodes without much of a glitch!

I am a little confuse with the AIMesh Node firmware and was wondering if anyone was able to advise how this AIMesh node firmware can be updated or not (this router used to be the main router prior to the AX-82U). It quotes "This AiMesh node is not able to manually update its firmware, please click "Check" to do your firmware upgrade over online.". Then goes on to say that the router is on the current firmware.

However the firmware version numbers of the two AIMesh Node are not the same!

View attachment 28555

The first node appears to not be running Asuswrt firmware so that won't help any upgrade-all functionality or use-the-same firmware preference.

I suggest you decide what firmware you want to run, go get it, and upload it manually. Reset afterward to factory defaults. Then configure the router from scratch and add the nodes.

OE

Welcome, @Blockheid!

The easiest way is to remove it from the AiMesh and flash it to the firmware you want. (But I would not just simply re-add it).

The better and more time-consuming way is to do the same thing but make one of the RT-AC86U's the main router for your network.

The RT-AC86U is superior as a router over the RT-AX82U you're currently using.

Welcome, @Blockheid!

The easiest way is to remove it from the AiMesh and flash it to the firmware you want. (But I would not just simply re-add it).

The better and more time-consuming way is to do the same thing but make one of the RT-AC86U's the main router for your network.

The RT-AC86U is superior as a router over the RT-AX82U you're currently using.

Thank you both!

Little did I appreciate that the RT-AC86U is superior as a router over the RT-AX82U, I missed that one! Sounds like a job for the weekend burning the midnight oil with a glass of wine :)

I have now reconfigured the router and nodes, the RT-AC86U is now the router and the RT-AX82U and the other RT-AC86U are the nodes with the selected firmware (Merlin on both RT-AC86U), all good and got all my devices reestablished except for one which I cannot reconnected.

With the Asus Wi-Fi- Smart Connect enabled, I am unable to reconnect a certain 2.4Ghz device, this wasn't an issue when the RT-AX82U was the router.

Anyone able to advise where I may have gone wrong, midnight oil and wine are running out?!

Thanks
BH

I have now reconfigured the router and nodes, the RT-AC86U is now the router and the RT-AX82U and the other RT-AC86U are the nodes with the selected firmware (Merlin on both RT-AC86U), all good and got all my devices reestablished except for one which I cannot reconnected.

With the Asus Wi-Fi- Smart Connect enabled, I am unable to reconnect a certain 2.4Ghz device, this wasn't an issue when the RT-AX82U was the router.

Anyone able to advise where I may have gone wrong, midnight oil and wine are running out?!

Thanks
BH

Have you tried recreating the connection on the client?

OE

Have you tried recreating the connection on the client?

OE

Sussed it out, the device (camera) I was trying to reconnect requires an iPad to set it up. It looks although the iPad temporarily connects to the camera Wi-Fi and then reverts back to the Asus Wi-Fi (or least I thought it did!).

During this process the iPad was reconnecting to a different Wi-Fi, so can only assume that didn't help! Did a "forget this network" and made another attempt and it worked!

Thanks for your feedback much appreciated

Sussed it out, the device (camera) I was trying to reconnect requires an iPad to set it up. It looks although the iPad temporarily connects to the camera Wi-Fi and then reverts back to the Asus Wi-Fi (or least I thought it did!).

During this process the iPad was reconnecting to a different Wi-Fi, so can only assume that didn't help! Did a "forget this network" and made another attempt and it worked!

Thanks for your feedback much appreciated

I think how this works is that the client (camera) broadcasts a WiFi Direct AP open WLAN for its setup. After your admin device connects to this temporary WLAN and completes setup, the client is then connected to your WLAN and stops broadcasting its own temporary WiFi Direct WLAN.

Whenever you see this client open WiFi Direct signal, it means your client is no longer configured for your WLAN... either it has lost its configuration or your WLAN SSID has changed or gone missing. You must then resolve the matter to recover the client and dismiss its WiFi Direct signal.

Other clients like printers and TVs use WiFi Direct APs... these add to the ambient radio noise, imo, so turn them OFF when you can.

OE