What's new

Need help with Asus mesh system devices dropping

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RKohler

New Around Here
First post. I have an AC5300 as my primary and two AC68Us as nodes. For several months on a daily basis I experience random drops on various hard wired and wireless devices. I called Asus support and they first asked me if I had tried to change one of my nodes to be the primary. I told them I hadn't and understood the primary router was supposed to be the most powerful, which it is. I'm thinking I'm going to have to perform the change. I have 60 connected devices and was wondering if I were to setup a node as primary, is there an easy way to do that without having to reconfigure each individual device? Supports only other suggestion was to send the 5300 to them. I'm running FIOS at 500/500 and am sure this is not a provider issue since many of my devices remain connected while only a few others drop. By the way, the disconnects will last anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes. Thanks for any suggestion on how to proceed.

How large is your home in SqFt that three routers are in use?

What firmware version(s) is running on all these routers?

With sixty connected devices, (total?), how many are on each wireless band?

MY house is 3400 sq ft. The firmware is current on all 3. The 5300 currently has 25 devices, the other nodes each have 15. The remaining difference are devices that are not powered up. I only purchased the last node in attempt to relieve the other 2 routers to see if it would help.

'The firmware is current' doesn't help anyone here trying to offer help. Can you specify more? :)

Is that 3400 SqFt on a single level, two levels, or more?

How are they located on each floor? The following rough approximation would be ideal for either wired or wireless backhaul. Either on a single level or, a three-level home.

AiMesh NODE ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------- Main ROUTER -------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- AiMesh NODE

The area covered by the main router (above) should be for the most heavily used devices (but only up to about 32 client devices per RADIO per BAND), if possible.

For a two-level home, the following is what I strive for when setting up a wireless network of your approximate SqFt or even bigger.

-------------- AiMesh NODE --------------------------------------- Main ROUTER -----------

The 'graphs' above show the relative distance between the main router and the nodes vs. the boundaries of the home.

One SSID or two? Should be a different SSID for each band (and fixed, non-DFS channels).

My install notes may offer some insight.

OE

L&LD, the firmware is 3.0.0.4.384_81981-g19f55de

It's a 2 story house with the main router upstairs and two nodes downstairs in the NE and SW parts of the house.

I'm using 2 SSIDs. Control channel 11 for the 2.4 and 44 for the 5.0.

OzarkEdge, I'll check out your install notes when I get a chance in the morning.

For what's it's worth, no devices have dropped today, which is rare. Also, it's primarily when I'm gaming or streaming to a TV when I have issues.

Does that seem like DSL-AC68U firmware? What is RT-AC5300 running?

That is too much WiFi for a single floor. Where is the main router in relation to the two corner nodes?

The main router is upstairs on the west side. The 2 nodes are downstairs. The three routers are as physically apart as they can be. The second node was added in the last the 30 days. Other than redistributing the devices and gaining a stronger signal in my backyard, I saw no improvement with my disconnect problem. The AC5300 is running firmware 3.0.0.4.384_81981-g19f55de. The 2 nodes are running 3.0.0.4.385_20633-g593a8ef.

Big shout out to OzarkEdge! I made several changes based upon your install notes and have seen a significant decrease in device disconnects. Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!