What's new

Need help with home network setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quito

New Around Here
Hi All,

I have an ADSL modem/router with 2 ethernet ports and I need to add more ports.

Currently I have Philips Hue bridge and Synology NAS connected to these ports.

I purchased an unmanaged 5-port Netgear switch, which I plugged into my modem/router using CAT 5e cable and plugged the Hue bridge and NAS into ethernet switch.

My problem is that now I cannot access either NAS or Hue bridge using my mobile through wifi. When they are plugged in directly to the modem/router everything works fine.

What am I doing wrong? I thought it would be a simple plug and play. Please help!

Are you plugging in only a single cable from the modem/router to the switch?

Does any of the following help?

Yes, a single CAT 5e cable from the modem/router to the switch.

The router is supplied by my ISP Sky in the UK, the model is ER115.

Do you suggest I should try power it on/off?

Thanks!

Does the NG 5 Port switch have an AC adaptor? Does it work between any other two devices?

I've tried everything, I cannot see MAC addresses of the devices attached to my switch.

Can anyone help?

Does the ports on the switch and modem/router lights reflect the connected cable?
Did you try the other port on the router.

I think I fixed it! I've just tried a different Cat 5 cable and it works. Quite surprising, as the former Cat 5e cable was new

Hue bridge is working but still can't access NAS but weirdly enough can reboot it wirelessly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!