What's new

Need help with home networking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello everyone so SORRY for the long await. Had many personal things that happened in my life, mom in the hospital being one had to push this project aside. I finally did get the cable tester and did all my testing. Using trial and error I managed to figure out a couple things, where most cables went and i realized as well I have some extra cabling that I do not know where they go. I used the cable tester recommended and was able to find many things. Since the cables are labeled the same from the coaxial and cat5e cables I tested the Cat5e first because it was easier. I found where each spot on the wall goes to and I found like 3 extras with nowhere the other end is. With the coaxial cables they were labeled the same as the cat5e so once I found out where the cat5e went I used reasoning to believe that the coaxial goes the same way. One thing I noticed as I mentioned there was extra cat5e cabling I believe the extras lead outside to the box as I can see that there is about two blue cables with the cable cut off at the end. My question is why would that be there if it leads nowhere? And now what now do I do? I think would it be as simple as changing the router location to where the PS4 is from the previous pictures and then plugging a port to the router and getting a AP? or would I need some more work. Here is also updated picture of the plan

Attachments

• updatelayout.jpg
    updatelayout.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 205
I find it hard to follow your diagram.

You should move your modem and router to a more centralized location where you have both a CATV and Ethernet cable. If you have a TV installed at that location you can use a splitter with one leg to the modem and the other to the TV.

Then plug a jumper cable your router's LAN port into the RJ45 jack. Find the the other end of this cable and the end of the Cat5e cable where you want to install an AP. While a switch would normally be used in your case since I don't really have a clear idea where all the Cat5e cables run and if you have AC power there you may need to use an 8 pin RJ45 coupler and connect the two cables together. It will work.

Hopefully when you tested all your Cat5e cables you confirmed they were all pinned correctly as either 568b or 568a. If they were pinned up for phone service using just 6 pins they won't work for data or at least very well.

I find it hard to follow your diagram.

You should move your modem and router to a more centralized location where you have both a CATV and Ethernet cable. If you have a TV installed at that location you can use a splitter with one leg to the modem and the other to the TV.

Then plug a jumper cable your router's LAN port into the RJ45 jack. Find the the other end of this cable and the end of the Cat5e cable where you want to install an AP. While a switch would normally be used in your case since I don't really have a clear idea where all the Cat5e cables run and if you have AC power there you may need to use an 8 pin RJ45 coupler and connect the two cables together. It will work.

Hopefully when you tested all your Cat5e cables you confirmed they were all pinned correctly as either 568b or 568a. If they were pinned up for phone service using just 6 pins they won't work for data or at least very well.
Hey sorry Im not really a type of drawer basically, even though I used photoshop lol. I could move the router to where the ps4 is and that does have both ports. I can try that tomorrow however couple questions. whats a jumper cable? Also I want to improve wireless experience upstairs so would a switch be necessary? In the patch panel closet there is a AC power that does, well should work, havent tried it in a long time.
When i did my testing the tester was showing all green but someone did mention it might be terminated for phone use so I will check tomorrow if its either 568b or a.

A jumper cable is a short Ethernet cable 1' - 5' in length.

A small switch is handy if you want to activate more than one additional location, but as I suggested a simple coupler will work at least for testing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016B13U9Y/?tag=snbforums-20

A jumper cable is a short Ethernet cable 1' - 5' in length.

A small switch is handy if you want to activate more than one additional location, but as I suggested a simple coupler will work at least for testing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016B13U9Y/?tag=snbforums-20
Well I wouldnt really need to use any other port unless it can coverage more wireless area? Upstairs there is 2 pretty close nearby literally a room away and then the laundry room with the closet. I checked one side of the cable looks like it is set up as the 568A standard, I will try and move the router and modem to another spot and see if it works because I actually have a extender upstairs that I use and it has the ability to be a AP so I can try with that.

568 A was a wiring convention used by Bell telephone guys and it will work for data. Just be sure that the female jack you are going to plug into has 8 gold pins. The male plug also needs to have 8 contacts.

Telephone jacks use no more than 6 Pins.

Before moving the modem to a new location check that the video F-fitting at that location is live. Easiest way is to hook a cable box and a TV up. If you get picture then you are good to go.

568 A was a wiring convention used by Bell telephone guys and it will work for data. Just be sure that the female jack you are going to plug into has 8 gold pins. The male plug also needs to have 8 contacts.

Telephone jacks use no more than 6 Pins.

Before moving the modem to a new location check that the video F-fitting at that location is live. Easiest way is to hook a cable box and a TV up. If you get picture then you are good to go.

There was a tv there already so I knew it worked. I moved it and made my extender a AP and so far it is working better than have the extender not as a AP. What else would you recommend to do? Should I get a better AP ?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!