What's new

Need help with QoS settings ac88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

akb

I get 250/10 speeds when i do not enable QoS, but when i eneable it, i can not seem to break 200 on download while upload is fine. Is there something I should check to get that extra 50mbit? I have latest merlin and jrfresh qr script.

I get 250/10 speeds when i do not enable QoS, but when i eneable it, i can not seem to break 200 on download while upload is fine. Is there something I should check to get that extra 50mbit? I have latest merlin and jrfresh qr script.

How are you testing? Wired or wireless? How many different speedtest sites do you use when testing?

Is your bufferbloat on sites like dslreports.com/speedtest improving vs. no QoS and/or are you able to do multiple activities without one interfering with the others?

If you're referring to the FreshJR QOS script, do you have it set up correctly and at proper defaults? Or have you customized it in any way?

When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults on your router after loading the latest firmware, followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP?

How are you testing? Wired or wireless? How many different speedtest sites do you use when testing?

Is your bufferbloat on sites like dslreports.com/speedtest improving vs. no QoS and/or are you able to do multiple activities without one interfering with the others?

If you're referring to the FreshJR QOS script, do you have it set up correctly and at proper defaults? Or have you customized it in any way?

When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults on your router after loading the latest firmware, followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP?

Thanks for all the questions.

I have used fast speedtest and dslreports via wired and wireless. I did not make any changes to FreshJR. I have 250/10 from comcast so I put 240/9 with 18 wan packets.
It does not seem to matter what download/upload and wan packet setting i choose. I just can never achieve 250 speeds on a single device.
It seems like qos strips 50mbits from me with any setting.
Is this just expected? I really want to have QoS, but i want single devices to hit the max advertised speeds too.

Thanks for all the questions.

I have used fast speedtest and dslreports via wired and wireless. I did not make any changes to FreshJR. I have 250/10 from comcast so I put 240/9 with 18 wan packets.
It does not seem to matter what download/upload and wan packet setting i choose. I just can never achieve 250 speeds on a single device.
It seems like qos strips 50mbits from me with any setting.
Is this just expected? I really want to have QoS, but i want single devices to hit the max advertised speeds too.

Try starting at 250/10 with zero for wan packets. Lower the upload from there, as needed. Next, after the upload has been fixed (which is mostly all we can fix) start adjusting the download speed.

Making sure to wait at least 10 minutes for the QoS to be re-established fully after each of your changes.

Try starting at 250/10 with zero for wan packets. Lower the upload from there, as needed. Next, after the upload has been fixed (which is mostly all we can fix) start adjusting the download speed.

Making sure to wait at least 10 minutes for the QoS to be re-established fully after each of your changes.

reporting back that putting values 250/10 and 0 wan made no difference. While QoS is on, i always get 200, if disabled i get the full 250. :'(

reporting back that putting values 250/10 and 0 wan made no difference. While QoS is on, i always get 200, if disabled i get the full 250. :'(

Okay, the next thing then is to check if you have updated to the latest FreshJR QOS script?

And what about my question above?

'When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults on your router after loading the latest firmware, followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP?'

Around 2 releases of merlin ago, you think i need to fresh start everything? + this is the latest freshjr script

Around 2 releases of merlin ago, you think i need to fresh start everything? + this is the latest freshjr script

RMerlin suggests that every third firmware or so.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

When do I need to do a factory default reset?
The first rule is to check the changelog of the firmware you are about to flash. If for a particular reason this specific firmware release requires one, it will be mentionned.

Also, if jumping more than one revision, check the changelog of past release. If going from 376.40 to 376.45, and 376.43 required a factory default reset, then you must also do so with the 376.45 flash.

As a general rule, if you are jumping more than 2-3 revisions, it's often safer to do a factory default reset. If you want to try out without doing a factory default reset, go ahead and try it. But at the first sign of problem, be prepared to do one.

And since the issue you're describing isn't widely reported, it also indicates a full reset too. :)

Guess i got to bite the bullet! Thanks for the help, will report back if it fixes the issue so maybe someone else has a documented fix.

Follow the link in my signature below to do the reset once and done. :)

Many others have done the exact same thing and reported they got their speeds back to expected values afterward. :)

Follow the link in my signature below to do the reset once and done. :)

Many others have done the exact same thing and reported they got their speeds back to expected values afterward. :)

OK so i did one last time resetting up qos and freshjr, by disabling everything. installing freshjr, then enabling qos and I am good! Thank goodness i really did not want to put all the configurations back manually.

Thanks for your help!