What's new

Need help with router backup settings.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

buildersboy

Occasional Visitor
For the life of me I do not understand the settings backup on my Asus RT-AX88U. There are boxes to be checked etc. I just want a backup of the settings clean. Also there is a major release update coming. Nobody has answered the question as to if the router needs to be factory reset after the new flash. Will I be able to use settings backup now on a new release when ready? My elderly neighbor is getting the same router for the benefit of the vpn features and speed provided by merlin. I want to keep it simple as possible for him. Please could someone answer my questions. How to do a settings backup with no baggage etc. And new version using a backup prior after a reset of fresh flashed router. TIA

Not sure where you care looking to say "nobody has answered the question..." as they are common questions, answered many times over.

"There are boxes to be checked etc. " On my AX88U, I only have 1 check box. Beside it, it says "Click on this checkbox if you want to share the config file for debugging. Since the original password in the config file will be removed, please do not import the file into your router." which would not seem to apply in your use case.

"Will I be able to use settings backup now on a new release when ready?" Personally, I rename my config backup files to include the version of FW that it was saved from. In an ideal world, it should not matter, and most of the time it does not, but, the configuration information is not "parsed" as text, xml, etc, but is stored as binary data, so you should try and stick with backups that were created with the same version of FW. It may work, or it may result in odd behaviour which will necessitate and reset and manual reconfigure. It is generally a better practice to update the firmware, then save a new backup and keep the various backups associated to the corresponding FW, just in case.

"Nobody has answered the question as to if the router needs to be factory reset after the new flash." The general answer is that no, you only need to reset and manually reconfigure *if* your router is responding in a way that is unusual.

"Will I be able to use settings backup now on a new release when ready? " You seem to be confusing things. Whenever you change FW versions, up or down, Asus to Merlin or vice versa, generally the configuration settings *in the router* adapt automatically and this process is not related to loading saved configurations. If the FW change process is not compatible with the router settings, then this will not be resolved by loading a saved configuration for reasons stated above.

Best practices (IMO), any time you change the firmware, save a configuration backup and note the FW version that was active at the time. Try to only load backups that were created with the same FW. Worst case, write down your settings or save screen captures for reference *in case* you need to do a full reset and manually reconfigure for one of 1000 different reasons. (Personally I like to save it as a PDF for easy future reference)

If somewhere in there you care asking if you can save your configuration and load it on your neighbours router, I would strongly advise against it.

For the life of me I do not understand the settings backup on my Asus RT-AX88U. There are boxes to be checked etc. I just want a backup of the settings clean. Also there is a major release update coming. Nobody has answered the question as to if the router needs to be factory reset after the new flash. Will I be able to use settings backup now on a new release when ready? My elderly neighbor is getting the same router for the benefit of the vpn features and speed provided by merlin. I want to keep it simple as possible for him. Please could someone answer my questions. How to do a settings backup with no baggage etc. And new version using a backup prior after a reset of fresh flashed router. TIA

For a major firmware release, I would flash it, reset it, and configure it from scratch.

Since Asus AiMesh, I consider every release to be major until further notice. If you skip the reset, be prepared to do it before wasting too much time troubleshooting.

IMO, a saved configuration is for recovering the same hardware and firmware used to save the configuration... disaster recovery (and perhaps cloning). Like all such backup schemes, you should prove it before you have to rely on it. So, save a simple configuration and restore it to see how it works. You'll have to figure out the checkboxes... I don't have them here.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!