What's new

Need recommendation for 2nd Mesh router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kolyan

Occasional Visitor
I currently have RT-AC86U but planning to move soon to a bigger home roughly 2500sqft with few TVs on 1st and 2nd floors plus bunch of outside WIFI cameras etc. I was planning to do Asus Mesh. Any recommendations for 2nd Asus router?

I would try to match it with another 86U or at least a 68U or equivalent spec, but personally I wouldn't pair it with anything lower spec than a 68U.

Another RT-AC86U would be a great fit.

The RT-AX58U is also worth considering if the price is competitive to the RT-AC86U.

*Note that I recommend this with RMerlin firmware properly installed on both router and node with either choice above.

I would try to match it with another 86U or at least a 68U or equivalent spec, but personally I wouldn't pair it with anything lower spec than a 68U.
I dont mind getting something higher end too. What are the upgrade models from AC86U?

See the post above yours. :)

Above the RT-AX58U is the RT-AX88U.

See the post above yours. :)

Above the RT-AX58U is the RT-AX88U.

Thanks. yeah posted at the same time so I didnt see :) RT-AX58U is the same price as my current router so I might pick that up.

PS. I've been on Merlin from day 1 ))

If I was going to replace my AC86U right now, I would go for either the AX88U or ROG AX11000. However, neither are easy to get and command a high price right now. Even older ASUS and Netgear models are selling at higher prices at the moment, such as the popular AC86U and R7800. Likely, because of the COVID-19 situation and the increase in load to home networks.

I paid about the same price for AC86U in 2018 as it is now on Amazon.
Oh the other hand maybe 1 router would be enough for 2.5k sqft. It's just I installed few Ring cameras for my buddy and he complained that his routers wifi is not reaching 1 of them

I opted for a RT-AC1900P as the AiMesh node. It works great but if I had it to do over, I would spend the extra $80 and get another 86U. I therefore recommend getting another 86U.

Utility of an AIMesh is very topology dependent. Most important is to try to use wired backhaul between the nodes. Otherwise you are using your 5GHz radio for backhaul.
Biggest design driver is number and and composition of walls. Brick & plaster are the worst.
Don’t be afraid to tinker with physical placement of router. In my case, I took my AX92 out of my media center on outside wall next to fireplace and moved it, cable modem and NAS (Ethernet only).
Simply moving it 12’ to more central location and running coax behind couch to cable jack allowed me to take my old AC88 out of service and cover my needs with one device.

I got a used RT-AC88U on Amazon for $132. I don't know if it is any good or not, I just got it yesterday. But so far it seems to work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!