What's new

Need some expert help here!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hash70

Regular Contributor
Currently have a bt business hub in bridge mode to 2x asus rt-ax86u connected via cat6 back haul,this set up has been solid for ever until a few weeks bck when my isp speed 280/40 will suddenly drop to between 40/90,it happens random,sometimes a reboot will fix it other time I jst wait and it sorts its self out in a few hours,when it happened last Tuesday I reset the 2x asus router and bt hub,set them bck up but still the same,I then removed all the routers and put my old bt smart hub bck in incase it was a problem with my asus routers,but with jst the smart hub plugged in my speed was the same so it's not a issue with my business hub and asus router,phoned bt and they said my line looked fine for errors but when they ran a speed test they only got 90mb when I always get between 250/270,so there sending someone out on Tuesday,today about 8am it did again,speed dropped to between 40/90 download,upload is normal,rebooted my routers and it went bck to normal,im seeing alot of kernel errors in my asus logs that I've never seen before,can anyone see anthing thx

Attachments

• syslog 6.txt
    33 KB · Views: 50
There is nothing in the Syslog file that I can see that is related to the WAN connection speed on the BT business hub.

Based on the speeds you are quoting though, I'd assume that you are on a G.Fast connection and that at some point this is failing and dropping back to VDSL2. Why would that happen? Either interference or the interface in the local BT cabinet is failing (it's a BT/G.fast thing).

Are you not having a double NAT problems running this setup? The BT hub cant be put into a bridge mode so the hub is running NAT and so to is your Asus router running NAT.

Are you not having a double NAT problems running this setup? The BT hub cant be put into a bridge mode so the hub is running NAT and so to is your Asus router running NAT.
no double nat issue as im using the bt business smart hub 2 in bridge mode to my 2x asus ax86u ,ive got a feeling cityfibre has done something as they were in my street digging up the pavement 4weeks ago installing there optic cable where id presume the bt cable are for my gfast connection from bt,cause.it was no more than a week later that the problem started ,its highly unusall for me to have net problems, my bt line has only went down twice in 12y and ive never had this type of issue before

You have 2x routers getting public IP addresses from a single modem, correct?
If both routers show the same WAN speed degradation - it's a modem/connection issue.

You have 2x routers getting public IP addresses from a single modem, correct?
If both routers show the same WAN speed degradation - it's a modem/connection issue.
While it could be, this is a service that BT/OpenReach do offer in the UK!

yes , setup is bt business hub in bridge mode cat 6 to asus ax86u in the hall then cat 6 to the second rtx86u configured in aimesh in the bedroom

in aimesh

You have one router and one node then. Any way for you to test the connection at the modem when the slowdown happens?

this is a service that BT/OpenReach do offer in the UK!

It's possible on residential Rogers lines here in Canada. They provide 2x IPv4 on LAN1 and LAN2 ports when the modem/router is in bridge mode.