What's new

Solved Need some opinions on MoCa + mesh setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

reerden

Regular Contributor
I recently installed a single point to point MoCa line to replace the wireless Aimesh link upstairs. Mostly to improve reliability with latency sensitive applications and games. The setup works great, but I'd like some opinions if the current setup is optimal.

1. Current setup
Right now, the MoCa line runs from the ISP modem in the utility closet to the router upstairs. This provides coverage for both the downstairs living room and upstairs. I moved the aimesh node to the back of the house to provide some more coverage in the garden. So the setup is as follows:
Code:
ISP modem --> MoCa coax -> router -> wireless backhaul --> aimesh node.
Equipment location(s):
Downstairs utility closet:
  • ISP modem
  • MoCa adapter

Upstairs bedroom/gaming room:
  • MoCa adapter
  • AX88U main router
The back of the downstairs living room:
  • AX92u (connected using the AX tri-band)

This has the following advantages:
  • All potential bottlenecks (MoCa/Docsis) are behind the router with has traffic shaping/Qos enabled. This makes sure all traffic is prioritized before entering a line that introduces latency or cannot provide the full 1Gbps.
  • AX coverage both upstairs and in the living room, as the node only does AC for the clients (It's a AX92u).
  • Most direct connection for upstairs, which includes latency sensitive gaming stuff.
  • Client to client communication do not need to utilize the MoCa line.
  • The utility closet is a lot cleaner with less equipment.
It also has a few disadvantages:
  • The MoCa line introduces some latency, so all devices have around 5ms higher ping, and the clients on the aimesh node have over 8ms more ping.
  • Everything relies on the MoCa line for the internet upstream.

2. Alternative setup
I was thinking the following setup might be better, seeing as it is common to use the MoCa line as a wired backhaul for aimesh clients:
Code:
ISP modem --> router --> MoCa Coax -> aimesh node
Equipment location(s):
Downstairs utility closet:
  • ISP Modem
  • AX88u main router
  • MoCa adapter

Upstairs bedroom/gaming room:
  • MoCa adapter
  • AX92u

This has the following advantages:
  • 5ms lower ping on downstairs clients.
  • Not everything has to rely on the MoCa for internet connectivity, only the upstairs equipment (although my current internet speed does not max out the MoCa line).
  • Some more flexibility as we now have a mesh upstairs and can use wireless backhaul when there are issues.
  • Slightly better downstairs coverage, as the utility closet can cover the back of the house better.
And the following disadvantages:
  • Client to client communication between up and downstairs now need to use the MoCa Line, introducing 5ms latency and potentially lower bandwidth.
  • No QoS for the MoCa line. In theory one could max out the line by streaming to a client downstairs and introduce connectivity issues.
  • No AX coverage upstairs, as the node is now used as the AP/Switch upstairs.
So what does everyone think? Should I keep the current setup where the MoCa line is used for all internet connectivity?
Or should I move the router to the utility closet and use the MoCa only as the aimesh wired backhaul connection?

I understood you are using MoCa adapter as you do not have wire connection between down and up stairs. If this is not the case I do not see the reason to use it.
For those routers QoS will be limit close to 300Mb - if your ISP speed is higher why to sue it?
MoCa speed can be to 2.5Gb not sure why will not be enough for you?

why you are not using AiMesh (you cannot set those 2 routers because of MoCa between them) - you would have AX everywhere.
Is always better to use cable connection (more stable, wi-fi can disconnect) if possible therefore I would go with your alternative option.

I understood you are using MoCa adapter as you do not have wire connection between down and up stairs. If this is not the case I do not see the reason to use it.
For those routers QoS will be limit close to 300Mb - if your ISP speed is higher why to sue it?
MoCa speed can be to 2.5Gb not sure why will not be enough for you?

why you are not using AiMesh (you cannot set those 2 routers because of MoCa between them) - you would have AX everywhere.
Is always better to use cable connection (more stable, wi-fi can disconnect) if possible therefore I would go with your alternative option.
I am using aimesh, to get coverage in the back of the house. When the main router is upstairs, the coverage is limited there. On the other hand when I place the main router downstairs, there is coverage there but it's worse than what I currently have with the mesh node downstairs. The coverage in the living room is the same for both positions.

The utility closet is to the side of the house, so you decent coverage across the downstairs floor, but little upstairs. By moving the router to the upstairs floor, you get coverage in the main living areas as they are right below the router. I can then move the aimesh to the back of the house to get coverage in the garden.

Maybe I'm overthinking this. It's less or a bandwidth issue and more a latency issue. If I move the main router downstairs, then downstairs clients have less latency to deal with. On the other hand, I cannot get the coverage I have now in the garden, as I have to utilize the mesh node upstairs.

Something doesn't seem right. I use AX92u's and the added latency on the node is only 1ms.

Also, your AX92u can provide full 4X4 AX access to the clients. Unhide the AX backhaul band and force it into AX only. The AIMesh will steer non AX clients onto the other bands.

Doing this gave us a massive performance boost in the garden as the AX band on the AX92u goes really far.

Something doesn't seem right. I use AX92u's and the added latency on the node is only 1ms.

Also, your AX92u can provide full 4X4 AX access to the clients. Unhide the AX backhaul band and force it into AX only. The AIMesh will steer non AX clients onto the other bands.

Doing this gave us a massive performance boost in the garden as the AX band on the AX92u goes really far.
That's the ping I get over the MoCa line. When I'm using the AX backhaul, the ping is around 1.5ms as well.

Anyway, I went ahead and put the main router downstairs and the mesh upstairs. This seems to improve ping times somewhat as not everything has to rely on the MoCa line.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!