What's new

Need to upgrade from Netgear WAC120 setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nikleb

Regular Contributor
I have put up for to long with a Netgear WAC120 setup.
I currently have two WAC120 AP's. Both connected to wired Ethernet. The AP's are distributed in a multilevel town home. There is some wifi congestion in my area. My WAC120 have in particular an issue with low powered security cam radio's but also simply with general wireless. E.g. the WAC120 seem to be challenged with two ipads next to each other.

My requirements:
- concurrent dual radio
- ability to configure MAC's to radio
- ideally some kind of manageability (e.g. pushing MAC tables to both AP's, finding AP without the 192.xx IP nonsense)
- better performance and reliability than the WAC120.
- if possible hand-off of clients support.
- I do have Ethernet wires, so mesh is not necessary.
- no router - just plain AP if possible

What are my choices?
Ubiquity, newer Netgear,...?

If you have spent any time on this forum you already know my answer. :)

Ubiquiti UAP-AC for the win. Easy, affordable, and will do what you are asking for.

Is there a power supply option or do the Ubiquity require POE? This woudl increase cost in my case...

Also, are there general pros/cons of models like the Ubiquity that appear to made for a permanent installation vs. "desk" models? Can I just put a Ubiquity on a shelf?

Is there a power supply option or do the Ubiquity require POE? This woudl increase cost in my case..

They support POE, but depending on the kit purchased, one can get an injector...

The POE will add some complexity and cost.

In general what are the trad-offs of devices like the Ubiquity vs. table model? like a EAP1300EXT or TP-Link AC1900? Can I still place a Ubiquity on a shelf?

I put this project on the back burner but really need to get it done.
Is Ubiquiti still the choice?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!